Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Smoky Mountain Bears
Lens: D FA 100 Macro Camera: K1 
Posted By: tncasual, 08-07-2022, 07:31 PM

I hike fairly regularly in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Most of the time I bring along gear to shoot flowers, insects, fungus and a landscape here or there. I tend to leave my telephoto at home.

Today, that was a mistake.

I came across this bear family having a grand ole time in the trees.

There are two cubs in the trees, though one was staying well hidden. They had climbed 60-70 feet up!

The momma stayed on the ground for quite awhile. Then decided to join them. Though she only made it 30-40 up.

All shot on the D FA 100Macro.
Views: 219
08-07-2022, 07:42 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting shots! You must have been close indeed to get those with a 100mm lens. Bears were something that I did and didn't want to see when I was hiking in the USA. This demonstrates why climbing a tree to escape a bear isn't necessarily worth trying. I think Grizzly bears can't climb?
08-07-2022, 08:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tncasual Quote
I hike fairly regularly in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Most of the time I bring along gear to shoot flowers, insects, fungus and a landscape here or there. I tend to leave my telephoto at home.

Today, that was a mistake.

I came across this bear family having a grand ole time in the trees.

There are two cubs in the trees, though one was staying well hidden. They had climbed 60-70 feet up!

The momma stayed on the ground for quite awhile. Then decided to join them. Though she only made it 30-40 up.

All shot on the D FA 100Macro.
Beautiful pictures, you will always that day. Thanks for showing them.
08-08-2022, 06:52 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Those are really cool shots. The bears really get up high in the trees. Something that I have not seen in person. Do the bears have tracking collars? You probably got closer than I would want.

Last edited by MikeNArk; 08-08-2022 at 06:59 AM.
08-08-2022, 06:59 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Interesting shots! You must have been close indeed to get those with a 100mm lens. Bears were something that I did and didn't want to see when I was hiking in the USA. This demonstrates why climbing a tree to escape a bear isn't necessarily worth trying. I think Grizzly bears can't climb?
How do you tell the difference between a grizzly and a black bear? Climb a tree. If the bear comes up after you itís a black bear, and if it knocks the tree down, itís a grizzly!!
08-08-2022, 07:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Those are really cool shots. The bears really get up high in the trees. Something that I have not seen in person. Do the bears have tracking collars? You probably got closer than I would want.
Yes, the mother does have a tracking collar on.
08-08-2022, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
How do you tell the difference between a grizzly and a black bear? Climb a tree. If the bear comes up after you itís a black bear, and if it knocks the tree down, itís a grizzly!!
Which reminds me of the line about wearing bells to scare the bears away; how to you tell the difference between black bear dropping and grizzly bear droppings? The Grizzly bear droppings are the ones with little bells in them...

08-08-2022, 03:37 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very interesting shots!
I've been around bears, but have never been in a place where they had trees to climb--only car windows to break (which they sure did!).
Great pictures! And the 100mm macro did such a good job that all is clearly pictured.
Angky.
08-08-2022, 03:48 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Which reminds me of the line about wearing bells to scare the bears away; how to you tell the difference between black bear dropping and grizzly bear droppings? The Grizzly bear droppings are the ones with little bells in them...
Ha!! You stole my thunder!!! That is my second favorite bear joke that I was going to post on the joke thread!!! Thanks for sharing a laugh with me!
08-08-2022, 06:48 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
Ha!! You stole my thunder!!! That is my second favorite bear joke that I was going to post on the joke thread!!! Thanks for sharing a laugh with me!
You're welcome! I find it hilarious that folks from the USA find Australian wildlife scary when the USA has so many dangerous large animals. When hiking at Mount Ranier, I was told "if you come around a corner and find a bear very close, try backing away carefully. If it doesn't move away or follows you, drop on the ground, curl up into a ball and put your hands behind your neck. The bear may come up and poke at you. Just stay very still and it will lose interest". I'm glad that I never had to try that out. The only large animals we saw were Hoary Marmots and Mountain Goats.