Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Sunrise On The Western Hills
Lens: HD Pentax DA 16-85mm Camera: K-70 Photo Location: Western Foothills - Sacramento Valley ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: angkymac, 08-08-2022, 03:24 PM

The early morning sun rising in the east behind the Sierra Nevada Mountains is just beginning to light the hills on the western side of the valley (in front of the camera).
At this time of year, the sun rises a bit to the north of east and causes shadowing on the south-east facing slopes in front of the camera, thus revealing the interesting relief of these hills.
The mid-ground is a new orchard of almond trees. White tubes protect the young bark from rodents.
Slight vignetting in the corners comes from my collapsible rubber lens hood when lens is zoomed to widest.
I was heading to another site when I saw this potential shot, so I stopped and got it.
I didn't want to "waste time" unscrewing the lens hood while the sun was moving so rapidly. Highlights on the tops of the vegetation in the foreground drops right down to the ground in seconds.
Other dark sky streaks are from smoke hanging in the valleys from wildfires further north.
Angky.
PS: I should have used the K-1 for this shot, but the sun waits for no person choosing equipment!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Views: 363
08-08-2022, 03:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, Almond milk coming our way ! Nice morning light.
Regards
08-08-2022, 03:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
excellent shot , love the colors and morning shine .
my best and congrats
08-08-2022, 05:04 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Timing can be everything. You recognized the beauty of this scene when it occurred and took the photo with the camera in hand. The K-70 is no slouch. This is an excellent landscape and the considerations that you made with regard to the changing light made it special. This is a well composed and beautiful landscape image.

08-08-2022, 07:58 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Yeah, Almond milk coming our way ! Nice morning light.
Regards
Almond milk! Right!
I don't know where they make the milk from almonds, but I certainly do know where the almonds come from!
Thanks for your note!
Angky.

---------- Post added 08-08-22 at 07:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nixxo2002 Quote
excellent shot , love the colors and morning shine .
my best and congrats
Thank you!
Glad to hear from you!
And glad that you liked the light & colors.
Angky.

---------- Post added 08-08-22 at 08:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Timing can be everything. You recognized the beauty of this scene when it occurred and took the photo with the camera in hand. The K-70 is no slouch. This is an excellent landscape and the considerations that you made with regard to the changing light made it special. This is a well composed and beautiful landscape image.
Thank you, Mike!
I'm glad I got the shot with what I had in hand and at the time that I got it.
And glad that you appreciate it.
Angky.
08-08-2022, 08:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The variance in colour and shapes adds interest to this shot.
08-08-2022, 09:43 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Extraordinary Landscape Photography. I would like very much to view this very scene taken with the K-1. I imagine it would be mind blowing. Well done and many thanks for the treat.

Tony

08-09-2022, 05:27 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
The variance in colour and shapes adds interest to this shot.
Thanks for your input--it's encouraging and helpful.
Angky.

---------- Post added 08-09-22 at 05:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Extraordinary Landscape Photography. I would like very much to view this very scene taken with the K-1. I imagine it would be mind blowing. Well done and many thanks for the treat.

Tony
Thanks for that affirmation.
I'm not sure how much difference the full-frame would make at this resolution. But the scene is one that could be greatly enlarged, and there would be a great difference in what the K-1 could produce over the K-70.
I prefer to use the K-1 for most shots, but its weight makes me carry the K-70, and then get the K-1 when I find a good shot.
Angky.