Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Miky Way with and without the ISS flyover
Lens: 14mm Camera: K3II Photo Location: Kamloops ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: aitrus3, 08-13-2022, 08:05 AM

Suppose I should post a bit more here... Here is my latest milky way image. the stars are a stack of 30x 60s exposures. FOreground is a stack and focus merge of 6 4minute exposures all at ISO 400. Reflection was a pain to add back in because I didn't shoot it separately from the other two sets, foolishly.




Views: 259
08-13-2022, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 7,160
Great scene composition and very good capture of the milky way. Excellent work.
08-13-2022, 11:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kamloops B.C.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,355
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Great scene composition and very good capture of the milky way. Excellent work.
thanks Mike
08-14-2022, 04:29 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,406
Can you expand on how this shot is achieved? Obviously the starts move during the capture of so many images, what is the process to stack and realign them? How did the reflection prove difficult?

08-14-2022, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kamloops B.C.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,355
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Can you expand on how this shot is achieved? Obviously the starts move during the capture of so many images, what is the process to stack and realign them? How did the reflection prove difficult?
That's a huge undertaking to expand on at the moment for me. Look up Astrophotography star trackers for milky way and there are a lot of articles on it. For stacking the tracked star shots I use PixInsight.
The reflection was difficult because while star reflections were sharp in the longer tracked exposures, stacking to help reduce noise and bring out detail didn't work. Obviously the untracked 4 minute exposures had a lot of trailing in them. The reflections of the stars were glorious on the perfectly still water. If I had done the work to capture them properly, I wouldn't have had such a hard time and the image would be a better rendition of what the camera saw.
08-14-2022, 06:21 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,406
QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
That's a huge undertaking to expand on at the moment for me. Look up Astrophotography star trackers for milky way and there are a lot of articles on it. For stacking the tracked star shots I use PixInsight.
The reflection was difficult because while star reflections were sharp in the longer tracked exposures, stacking to help reduce noise and bring out detail didn't work. Obviously the untracked 4 minute exposures had a lot of trailing in them. The reflections of the stars were glorious on the perfectly still water. If I had done the work to capture them properly, I wouldn't have had such a hard time and the image would be a better rendition of what the camera saw.
I’m familiar with the basic concept. I just wanted to understand how you were doing the basics. I think if I’m understanding you; you used a tracking mount for the main Astro portion of the shot which you then stacked. Then you overlaid that into a longer static shot of the foreground. A little unclear what you did to get the still reflection vs what you “should have done” by your own statement.
08-15-2022, 08:02 AM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kamloops B.C.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,355
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I’m familiar with the basic concept. I just wanted to understand how you were doing the basics. I think if I’m understanding you; you used a tracking mount for the main Astro portion of the shot which you then stacked. Then you overlaid that into a longer static shot of the foreground. A little unclear what you did to get the still reflection vs what you “should have done” by your own statement.

I didn't get the still reflection. Traditional milky way photography uses short exposures that are stacked which is how reflections are properly captured. While I had decent stars in the reflections of my tracked shots, once stacked, it didn't work out so well as i thought it would. So adding the reflections back in took a lot of work and I had to minimize them significantly due to a number of factors. I also had to keep the reflections of the untracked shots, which showed long trails, so editing those trails out was very time consuming.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, exposures, flickr, greg, murray, photo, stack
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cat named Miky AldaCZ Monthly Photo Contests 0 09-06-2014 12:08 PM
Ya can't spell Ryan without Ayn, and ya can't spell Romney without Money. Who scripte jeffkrol General Talk 8 08-21-2012 05:13 AM
Macro Gazania Flyover eaglem Post Your Photos! 2 11-03-2011 03:59 AM
Macro Flyover Inspection eaglem Post Your Photos! 5 09-12-2011 03:50 PM
Macro Low Flyover eaglem Post Your Photos! 2 12-31-2010 06:38 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:04 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top