Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
50mm M Milky Way test
Lens: 50mm M Camera: K3II Photo Location: Kamloops ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: Above 6s 
Posted By: aitrus3, 08-17-2022, 08:56 AM

Here is a test of the old 50mm f1.7 M lens stopped down to I think f/2.8? Not sure, it's two clicks slower than 1.7 I've never been any good doing that math in my head.
It's only a test because this is only 5 - 60s exposures of the core region of the Milky Way taken with the iOptron Skyguider pro.

Which brings me to another point: I've turned this Skyguider Pro into something rather fun. I'm calling it The Travelling Skyguider, where people can apply and have the unit shipped to them to use for 4 months before it is shipped to another person. The aim is for anyone wanting to learn astrophotgoraphy and may not have the means to buy a tracker or experience/gumption to dive head first into astrophotography with a full imaging setup right off the bat.

Currently open to North American applicants only, because I am broke and can't afford to ship it all over the world.

If you're curious, send me a message or if you know of someone, tell them to email thetravellingskyguider@gmail.com and I will send them the documents and application details.

Can also find it on Instagram @thetravellingskyguider

Views: 392
08-17-2022, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a nice test capture of the Milky Way and interesting info about the traveling mount. I have an Orion ST 120 telescope and goto mount. I haven't used it much lately due to light pollution and trees where I live. It's a load to haul around. Thanks for posting this image and the info on "The Travelling Skyguider".
08-17-2022, 01:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
That's a nice test capture of the Milky Way and interesting info about the traveling mount. I have an Orion ST 120 telescope and goto mount. I haven't used it much lately due to light pollution and trees where I live. It's a load to haul around. Thanks for posting this image and the info on "The Travelling Skyguider".
Thanks Mike
yeah it was taken shortly after the 14mm capture I got of the log and water. my k3II was running out of battery but wanted to see what the lens could do with the core and skyguider. Hopefully on the 25th or 29th i can get out and do a proper run and troubleshoot some things with the mount.
The mount was given to me for free by another astrophotographer and I felt like it'd be neat to turn it into something where lots of people can learn and get their feet into the hobby a bit. I've had only a couple interested but no applications yet. It's a serious endeavour with a rigours application process and hefty agreement, mainly to protect the unit from being sent to someone who would steal it for their own or to sell for cash. Folks who are genuinely interested in the program shouldn't worry at all.
08-17-2022, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice detail in the shot.