Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Last Weeks Insects at the Nature Preserve
Lens: Sigma 135-400 APO Camera: Pentax KP Photo Location: Hendrix Nature Preserve ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: MikeNArk, 08-22-2022, 03:49 PM

In a few visits to the nature preserve, there were very few critters active, however, there were some insects. Seven images.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Views: 384
08-22-2022, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
In a few visits to the nature preserve, there were very few critters active, however, there were some insects. Seven images.
Nice pictures and very sharp, all with nice background blur.
08-23-2022, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
All are very good captures with really good focus and vivid colors. That first bumblebee shot is my favorite. I like the shine off of its eye, and the leaf that curves up behind it.
08-23-2022, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You've been a busy boy, great shots

08-23-2022, 10:04 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rhanz Quote
Nice pictures and very sharp, all with nice background blur.
Thank you. Like other folks in this forum, I like taking shots of dragonflies, bees and other insects. I'm still using the Sigma 135-400 for most of these images and it seems to give good results.

---------- Post added 08-23-22 at 10:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
All are very good captures with really good focus and vivid colors. That first bumblebee shot is my favorite. I like the shine off of its eye, and the leaf that curves up behind it.
Thanks, Todd. After viewing some of your shots, I hesitated in posting these but decided that the were OK. Thanks for you comments. I liked that shine, also.

---------- Post added 08-23-22 at 10:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
You've been a busy boy, great shots
Thank you very much. Some of my visits to this place are brief stops on the way to grab groceries or gas. I can usually find something of interest while there.
08-23-2022, 10:15 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you very much. Some of my visits to this place are brief stops on the way to grab groceries or gas. I can usually find something of interest while there.
Hendrix Creek? Arkansas?
08-23-2022, 11:07 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Hendrix Creek? Arkansas?
This small nature preserve was created by Hendrix College in Conway, Arkansas as part of Hendrix Village. Hendrix College developed this area using an endowment fund. The Village includes residential housing, row houses and some shopping and dining areas. The preserve has a pond fed by a creek which runs through Conway, a recreation area, a walking trail and a wooded area. Parts of it are right off Interstate 40 which runs through Conway. Probably too much information. Thanks for asking.

08-23-2022, 11:15 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

This small nature preserve was created by Hendrix College in Conway, Arkansas as part of Hendrix Village. Hendrix College developed this area using an endowment fund. The Village includes residential housing, row houses and some shopping and dining areas. The preserve has a pond fed by a creek which runs through Conway, a recreation area, a walking trail and a wooded area. Parts of it are right off Interstate 40 which runs through Conway. Probably too much information. Thanks for asking.
No, not too much at all! It looks like a well-kept and vibrant preserve. You're lucky to have it nearby.
08-23-2022, 07:16 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Those first three shots of the dragonfly and the spike of blue flowers really catches my eye.
Color coordinated.
And I found it interesting--your story about how this preserve came about through the Hendrix College.
Angky
08-23-2022, 07:58 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Those first three shots of the dragonfly and the spike of blue flowers really catches my eye.
Color coordinated.
And I found it interesting--your story about how this preserve came about through the Hendrix College.
Angky
Thank you, Angky. I do like to catch the dragonflies on these flowers. They add more color to the images.
Hendrix College is rated as the top academic college in Arkansas. It is a private college and fairly expensive to attend. It has athletic teams, but offers no athletic scholarships. All scholarships at this college are based academic achievements. As I recall, the college received a large endowment from a private donor which led to the creation of the Hendrix Village, which also includes the nature preserve.
08-23-2022, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent wildlife series. Thanks a million for the treat.

Tony
08-24-2022, 07:44 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Excellent wildlife series. Thanks a million for the treat.

Tony
Thanks, Tony. I am glad that you enjoyed viewing them.
08-24-2022, 05:58 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Must have missed these while preparing and traveling. I really like all of them. The colors of the flowers with the various insects is really nice.
08-24-2022, 06:20 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by phx.david Quote
Must have missed these while preparing and traveling. I really like all of them. The colors of the flowers with the various insects is really nice.
Thanks much. Those flowers do add a lot to photos at this site and they also attract many types of insects. I'm glad you like them. We all get busy at times, school volleyball season has started here and we are likely to be going to games twice a week to watch our granddaughter play.