Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Pacific Ocean, just North of Gorda, CALIFORNIA. Canon G3X.
Camera: Canon G3X Photo Location: California ISO: 160 Shutter Speed: 1/160s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: RICHARD L., 08-26-2022, 05:18 AM

I was traveling South from Monterey to Santa Maria on the Pacific Coast Highway (Route 1). Suddenly the road was closed in the town of Gorda because the PCH had been destroyed by an enormous landslide. The road remained closed for almost two years and I had to detour to Highway 101 the next day to continue my itinerary towards Southern California. As it was late in the afternoon, I spent the night in a Rest Area on a cliff overlooking the Ocean. I can guarantee you that the sound of the waves below puts you to sleep in no time as soon as darkness sets in. A BEAUTIFUL place !!!

Views: 439
08-26-2022, 02:45 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That Canon G3X served you well. This coastal shot has good detail and wonderful colors. The green tint of the water is great.

Last edited by MikeNArk; 08-26-2022 at 08:41 PM.
08-26-2022, 05:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful! I agree with MikeNArk about the G3X, it works well.
08-26-2022, 06:34 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Certainly got a good spot on the coast highway to be stopped overnight.
Beautiful image!
Angky.

08-27-2022, 05:18 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
THX !

The Canon G3X makes good sharp images, although it doesn't have the Pentax warm color palette. The depth-of-field is surprizing at f/5.6.

As the road was inaccessible south of Gorda, I drove north up to a State campground but it was overflowing already and the Ranger wouldn't let me quietly park near the gate for the night. So I returned south towards Gorda as I had noticed a nice Rest Area overlooking the Pacific. It said "No camping" but then, I could always argue that the PCH was closed and that sleeping in my van and leaving no traces of my stay was not really "camping" ... LOL !

Regards