Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Tremendous lighnint storm last night.
Lens: SMC FA 35mm AL Camera: KP Photo Location: Granbury 
Posted By: skolkmeier, 09-04-2022, 08:17 AM

Almost all the strikes were cloud to cloud. This is my first try, and I think I need to revise my technique. I took about 1000 shots and got about 10. Here's one of the best.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Views: 260
09-04-2022, 08:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This one came out very good. The lightning really lit up the surrounding sky with beautiful purple colors. When I think about the number of shots taken, it really makes me appreciate the lightning photos from the days of film cameras.
09-04-2022, 10:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Nicely done. I'd suggest a few changes in your technique. Your focal length is good. I usually use a focal length 50mm or less for lightning.Your exif doesn't tell whether the noise reduction is on but if it is, turn off both high ISO and long exposure noise reduction. I'd lower the ISO to perhaps 400 or 800. Open the lens all the way. (f2 with the lens you used here.) Try an exposure time 10-15 seconds or even longer if you can get away with it. The object here is to have the shutter open for as long as possible. That increases the likelihood that the shutter will be open when the lightning strikes. And you won't have to shoot as many frames. The brightness of the lightning bolt is controlled by the ISO and the aperture. If the lightning is too bright, lower the ISO or close down the lens. Conversely, if it's too dim, bump up the ISO. Much of this is a matter of experience (and luck) but you've got a good start. Be careful out there.
09-04-2022, 11:05 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
Nicely done. I'd suggest a few changes in your technique. Your focal length is good. I usually use a focal length 50mm or less for lightning.Your exif doesn't tell whether the noise reduction is on but if it is, turn off both high ISO and long exposure noise reduction. I'd lower the ISO to perhaps 400 or 800. Open the lens all the way. (f2 with the lens you used here.) Try an exposure time 10-15 seconds or even longer if you can get away with it. The object here is to have the shutter open for as long as possible. That increases the likelihood that the shutter will be open when the lightning strikes. And you won't have to shoot as many frames. The brightness of the lightning bolt is controlled by the ISO and the aperture. If the lightning is too bright, lower the ISO or close down the lens. Conversely, if it's too dim, bump up the ISO. Much of this is a matter of experience (and luck) but you've got a good start. Be careful out there.
Thanks. I thought about the longer exposure during the night, duh. I'll try it next time. Thanks for the comments, everyone.

09-04-2022, 11:42 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lighting can be difficult to get. The method suggested will help. Nice capture. It did illuminate the clouds with pretty colors.