Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Number 78
Lens: HDDA*16-50 PLM Camera: K3iii Photo Location: Thirlmere, NSW ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/20s Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: RobG, 09-08-2022, 03:52 AM

This is probably one of the oldest surviving Australian built steam locomotives. It was built in 1877 in Sydney, and is now in the NSW Railway museum in Thirlmere.
When investigating steam power, I was amazed to find out that the first steamship to arrive in Australia was in 1831, only 43 years after the first fleet! The first Australia railway was opened in Melbourne in 1854.

Steam Locomotive 78
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
Views: 221
09-08-2022, 06:42 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A fine specimen from that era and nice history. This locomotive is well maintained. Nice shot.
09-08-2022, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
A fine specimen from that era and nice history. This locomotive is well maintained. Nice shot.
Thanks Mike! They have a bunch of steam locomotives at the museum in operating condition, but most of these were in the "roundhouse" and couldn't been seen. One I did see was the 6029 Beyer Garratt that was restored in Canberra:

Steam Locomotive 6029
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

I posted a couple more photos from the museum here.
09-09-2022, 06:57 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for posting. That's an interesting looking locomotive. Was there any information on use of this engine. Looks brawny.

09-09-2022, 02:42 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The history of such machines is more fascinating than the machine itself, isn't it!
But the machine is the keeper of the history!
And the camera captures the image of both--so hard to put the camera down when in a museum of such things!
Good inspiration through your images.
Angky
09-11-2022, 03:42 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Thanks for posting. That's an interesting looking locomotive. Was there any information on use of this engine. Looks brawny.
They were built in Manchester, England and designed to be used to haul heavy loads on branch lines which couldn't carry a really high axle load (mostly coal, in NSW) and had tight curves. This is the only operational survivor of the class in Australia; three others are preserved. You can find more information about them here. When 6029 was operated for weekend strips out of Canberra, they towed a diesel engine in one direction and used the diesel to tow the train back, I think because the turntable at Bungendore wasn't big enough to handle turning 6029 around.
The tractive force of the engine is stated as 265 KN which isn't as meaningful to me as watts or even horsepower might be. I'm used to measuring engine power in watts not force in newtons.

QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
The history of such machines is more fascinating than the machine itself, isn't it! But the machine is the keeper of the history! And the camera captures the image of both--so hard to put the camera down when in a museum of such things!
Good inspiration through your images.
Thank you! I'm so glad that some of these amazing machines have been kept as museum pieces, but even happier that some are in working condition. The museum at Thirlmere has several operational steam engines which make regular runs for people to experience riding on a steam train.