Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Sleepy lizard
Lens: DFA 150-450 Camera: K3iii Photo Location: Canberra, Australia ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/1500s Aperture: F7.1 
Posted By: RobG, 09-11-2022, 03:47 AM

The Sleepy Lizard is more properly called a Shingleback Skink or Shingleback Lizard. This one was certainly sleepy on a day as cold and windy as today!


Sleepy lizard
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
Views: 239
09-11-2022, 05:41 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 9,275
Cool shot of a very interesting looking lizard. It may have been too cold to move around much.
09-11-2022, 06:15 AM   #3
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
OrchidJulie's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magic City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,049
Wow! Never saw one of these before (or even knew about them, frankly). Glancing at the thumbnail, I thought you were posting a joke about a crocodilian, from the apparent texture of the creature...imagine my surprise! Thanks for sharing!
09-11-2022, 06:33 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
RobG's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canberra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,177
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Cool shot of a very interesting looking lizard. It may have been too cold to move around much.
Thanks! They aren't super active even in hot weather, hence the colloquial name "sleepy lizard". But you're right, I'm sure it was struggling today with a cold wind and only about 14C.


QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Wow! Never saw one of these before (or even knew about them, frankly). Glancing at the thumbnail, I thought you were posting a joke about a crocodilian, from the apparent texture of the creature...imagine my surprise! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you! We have lots of unusual reptiles in Australia. I've lived in Canberra for years and only seen these recently - partly because I've been travelling to the northern hemisphere at Christmas time.
We have several large skinks in the Canberra region - the Blue-tongued Lizard (two species), Cunningham's Skink and the Shingleback.
With the weather starting to warm up, the reptiles are starting to appear, looking for food after hibernation.

09-11-2022, 07:44 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 8,026
That's not like any skink that I have ever seen. The skinks that I have seen are generally more smooth and smaller than this skink. Lots of texture in this image. It's getting some warm from the sun. Interesting capture and lizard.
09-11-2022, 09:17 AM   #6
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
OrchidJulie's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magic City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,049
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote

Thank you! We have lots of unusual reptiles in Australia.
We have several large skinks in the Canberra region - the Blue-tongued Lizard (two species), Cunningham's Skink and the Shingleback.
With the weather starting to warm up, the reptiles are starting to appear, looking for food after hibernation.
I agree (again) with Mike... our skinks are nothing like this creature. Not sure what's happening with the population of them here, they used to be fairly common when I was a kid (long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away ), but I've not seen many at all in recent years..We do have increasing populations of non-native reptiles, including iguanas, agamas and knight anoles. Given the knight anole's size and appetite, they could be responsible for declining skink populations
09-11-2022, 04:02 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
RobG's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canberra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,177
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
That's not like any skink that I have ever seen. The skinks that I have seen are generally more smooth and smaller than this skink. Lots of texture in this image. It's getting some warm from the sun. Interesting capture and lizard.
Thanks Mike!

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
I agree (again) with Mike... our skinks are nothing like this creature. Not sure what's happening with the population of them here, they used to be fairly common when I was a kid (long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away ), but I've not seen many at all in recent years..We do have increasing populations of non-native reptiles, including iguanas, agamas and knight anoles. Given the knight anole's size and appetite, they could be responsible for declining skink populations
I'm not sure what kind of skinks they have on Tattoine.

We do have common garden skinks and small shiny species like the one below. The Shingleback and Cunningham's Skinks are notable exceptions to smooth and shiny. Australia's largest skink is the oddly named Land Mullet, and is shiny and smooth.


White's Skink
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

09-12-2022, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #8
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
OrchidJulie's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magic City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,049
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote

I'm not sure what kind of skinks they have on Tattoine.

Hopefully ones large enough to take on knight anoles!
09-12-2022, 03:28 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
RobG's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canberra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,177
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Hopefully ones large enough to take on knight anoles!
Or small enough to hide from them?
09-12-2022, 06:36 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2019
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,585
That is a very outstanding picture of one of the ugliest things I have ever seen!
Great use of a camera! Goes to prove that when I think I've seen ugly, I really haven't seen anything yet!
Very interesting shot, and proves that Australia never fails to surprise.
Angky.
09-12-2022, 06:52 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
RobG's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canberra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,177
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
That is a very outstanding picture of one of the ugliest things I have ever seen!
Great use of a camera! Goes to prove that when I think I've seen ugly, I really haven't seen anything yet!
Very interesting shot, and proves that Australia never fails to surprise.
Thank you! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. We've got plenty of weird and wonderful creatures!
09-13-2022, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #12
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
OrchidJulie's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magic City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,049
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Or small enough to hide from them?
Or fast enough to escape! They are voracious predators, they will eat nearly anything they can catch, including (sad to say) small birds and other anoles. <sigh> Regular anoles are wonderful garden friends, they eat enormous quantities of insects, and they're cute. Knight anoles are nothing of the sort.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, lizard, photo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature Sleepy Black Bear mom and cubs joelbolden Post Your Photos! 4 06-20-2021 08:28 AM
Pets Sleepy Alan poses for a photo malkywinter Post Your Photos! 6 11-28-2019 09:08 PM
Nature Four Sleepy Heads All in a Row gatorguy Photo Critique 2 07-03-2016 05:56 PM
Landscape More long exposures on a sleepy island captainbert Post Your Photos! 14 01-18-2012 02:40 PM
People Sleepy jbuck92 Photo Critique 10 12-30-2011 10:23 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:24 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top