Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Sleepy lizard
Lens: DFA 150-450 Camera: K3iii Photo Location: Canberra, Australia ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/1500s Aperture: F7.1 
Posted By: RobG, 09-11-2022, 03:47 AM

The Sleepy Lizard is more properly called a Shingleback Skink or Shingleback Lizard. This one was certainly sleepy on a day as cold and windy as today!

Sleepy lizard
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
Views: 239
09-11-2022, 05:41 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Cool shot of a very interesting looking lizard. It may have been too cold to move around much.
09-11-2022, 06:15 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow! Never saw one of these before (or even knew about them, frankly). Glancing at the thumbnail, I thought you were posting a joke about a crocodilian, from the apparent texture of the creature...imagine my surprise! Thanks for sharing!
09-11-2022, 06:33 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Cool shot of a very interesting looking lizard. It may have been too cold to move around much.
Thanks! They aren't super active even in hot weather, hence the colloquial name "sleepy lizard". But you're right, I'm sure it was struggling today with a cold wind and only about 14C.

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Wow! Never saw one of these before (or even knew about them, frankly). Glancing at the thumbnail, I thought you were posting a joke about a crocodilian, from the apparent texture of the creature...imagine my surprise! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you! We have lots of unusual reptiles in Australia. I've lived in Canberra for years and only seen these recently - partly because I've been travelling to the northern hemisphere at Christmas time.
We have several large skinks in the Canberra region - the Blue-tongued Lizard (two species), Cunningham's Skink and the Shingleback.
With the weather starting to warm up, the reptiles are starting to appear, looking for food after hibernation.

09-11-2022, 07:44 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's not like any skink that I have ever seen. The skinks that I have seen are generally more smooth and smaller than this skink. Lots of texture in this image. It's getting some warm from the sun. Interesting capture and lizard.
09-11-2022, 09:17 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote

Thank you! We have lots of unusual reptiles in Australia.
We have several large skinks in the Canberra region - the Blue-tongued Lizard (two species), Cunningham's Skink and the Shingleback.
With the weather starting to warm up, the reptiles are starting to appear, looking for food after hibernation.
I agree (again) with Mike... our skinks are nothing like this creature. Not sure what's happening with the population of them here, they used to be fairly common when I was a kid (long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away ), but I've not seen many at all in recent years..We do have increasing populations of non-native reptiles, including iguanas, agamas and knight anoles. Given the knight anole's size and appetite, they could be responsible for declining skink populations
09-11-2022, 04:02 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
That's not like any skink that I have ever seen. The skinks that I have seen are generally more smooth and smaller than this skink. Lots of texture in this image. It's getting some warm from the sun. Interesting capture and lizard.
Thanks Mike!

I agree (again) with Mike... our skinks are nothing like this creature. Not sure what's happening with the population of them here, they used to be fairly common when I was a kid (long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away ), but I've not seen many at all in recent years..We do have increasing populations of non-native reptiles, including iguanas, agamas and knight anoles. Given the knight anole's size and appetite, they could be responsible for declining skink populations
I'm not sure what kind of skinks they have on Tattoine.

We do have common garden skinks and small shiny species like the one below. The Shingleback and Cunningham's Skinks are notable exceptions to smooth and shiny. Australia's largest skink is the oddly named Land Mullet, and is shiny and smooth.

White's Skink
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

09-12-2022, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure what kind of skinks they have on Tattoine.

Hopefully ones large enough to take on knight anoles!
09-12-2022, 03:28 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hopefully ones large enough to take on knight anoles!
Or small enough to hide from them?
09-12-2022, 06:36 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That is a very outstanding picture of one of the ugliest things I have ever seen!
Great use of a camera! Goes to prove that when I think I've seen ugly, I really haven't seen anything yet!
Very interesting shot, and proves that Australia never fails to surprise.
Angky.
09-12-2022, 06:52 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
That is a very outstanding picture of one of the ugliest things I have ever seen!
Great use of a camera! Goes to prove that when I think I've seen ugly, I really haven't seen anything yet!
Very interesting shot, and proves that Australia never fails to surprise.
Thank you! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. We've got plenty of weird and wonderful creatures!
09-13-2022, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Or small enough to hide from them?
Or fast enough to escape! They are voracious predators, they will eat nearly anything they can catch, including (sad to say) small birds and other anoles. <sigh> Regular anoles are wonderful garden friends, they eat enormous quantities of insects, and they're cute. Knight anoles are nothing of the sort.