Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Owlet-nightjar
Lens: DFA 150-450 Camera: K3iii Photo Location: Canberra, Australia ISO: 4000 Shutter Speed: 1/1500s Aperture: F7.1 
Posted By: RobG, 09-11-2022, 03:55 AM

Despite being nocturnal, Owlet-nightjars seem to enjoy sitting in the warm sun at the entrance of their sleeping hollows. Yes, this fluffball is a bird!

Owlet-nightjar
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

Owlet-nightjar
Views: 322
09-11-2022, 05:34 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Terrific captures Rob. The little bugger is cute, as well as being very well camouflaged. I would probably have walked right past it.
09-11-2022, 06:17 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 to that! I'm sure I'd have passed him by, too. Very cute!
09-11-2022, 06:40 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Terrific captures Rob. The little bugger is cute, as well as being very well camouflaged. I would probably have walked right past it.
I walked past it too - but someone nearby mentioned that birders had said that there was an unusual bird in the tree. I'm sure I've walked past them lots of times, because I'm not spending enough time looking at tree hollows. Tawny Frogmouths (a true Nightjar) are hard to spot too, looking like a rough branch on a tree. They are very cute when they are fluffed up like this.

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
+1 to that! I'm sure I'd have passed him by, too. Very cute!
They have this cute habit of wobbling left and right. Here's one I got on video at the Botanic Gardens. Hopefully one day I'll lug a tripod and get a steadier shot. I went back with a tripod to try to get video of this one, but he didn't appear.

---------- Post added 11-09-22 at 11:42 PM ----------

This was the bird from today - all I got was a wink!

09-11-2022, 08:06 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for posting these images and videos of this interesting bird. It must like like the warm sunshine on cool mornings. It would be very easy to miss seeing this bird. I like the periodic wobbles of the bird in the first video.
09-11-2022, 04:05 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Thanks for posting these images and videos of this interesting bird. It must like like the warm sunshine on cool mornings. It would be very easy to miss seeing this bird. I like the periodic wobbles of the bird in the first video.
Thanks Mike! They may be more common than people think, simply because they're hard to spot and only active at night.
09-12-2022, 01:28 AM   #7

I been trying to get an Owl for two years.

09-12-2022, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ForthComing Quote
I been trying to get an Owl for two years.
I feel your pain! I have been hoping to get a photo of a Barn Owl since I saw one in about 1986. Luckily there was a mouse plague (if you can call that luck) and one wandered into the reserve where I was walking for exercise. It was a beautiful bird, but was being harassed by all the other birds in the area. If you have a local birding group, it might be worth finding out if they have a Facebook group or a mailing list. The only reason I got to see a Powerful Owl (a huge species almost the size of an eagle which feeds on possums) was because I was on the local birding group mailing list and someone else found one.

Technically, Nightjars aren't Owls, nor are they Nightjars! They are in a family all of their own. Keep looking for hollows in trees and you might find one!

Here's the Powerful Owl.

Powerful Owl

Here's a Tawny Frogmouth, which is a Nightjar. The key difference in behaviour between owls and Nightjars (or Owlet-Nightjars) is that owls catch prey with their feet, while Nightjars catch prey with their beaks.

Tawny Frogmouth

And here's the Barn Owl, looking very tired and harassed.

Eastern Barn Owl

I hope you manage to find that owl you're looking for! Thanks for posting!
09-12-2022, 06:43 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Fantastic pictures of those interesting birds!
I recently got some shots of a little owl sitting in a hollow tree. First I've been able to get.
I haven't posted it since I has such camouflage that it seems like a boring image--very low contrast.
Your bird shots are eye-catching.
Angky.
09-12-2022, 06:57 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Fantastic pictures of those interesting birds!
I recently got some shots of a little owl sitting in a hollow tree. First I've been able to get.
I haven't posted it since I has such camouflage that it seems like a boring image--very low contrast.
Your bird shots are eye-catching.
Thank you for your feedback! I really appreciate it! Can you tweak the levels of the photo to make the owl more visible? Actually, playing "spot the animal" can be fun when things are camouflaged too.