Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Ivanpah Solar Furnaces, along Interstate-15, CALIFORNIA
Camera: Canon G3X Photo Location: California Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: RICHARD L., 09-13-2022, 12:00 PM

I was traveling East on Interstate-15 in California, just before reaching the Nevada Stateline. On the north side of the Highway, I noticed the Ivanpah Solar Power Plant with 3 Solar Furnaces. A field of concave mirrors focuses the rays of the sun on each central tower where water circulates. The water boils after being superheated by the sunrays and the steam thus generated spins electrical turbines, providing electricity to thousands of households in this remote corner of both California and Nevada. The site is impressive to behold from the Interstate and can be reached by turning north on the Nipton Road exit.

Views: 312
09-13-2022, 03:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bet it's slightly warm up in those towers!
Nice shot Richard.
09-13-2022, 07:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Totally astonishing things to behold when driving along and seeing for the first time!
Good shots of them.
(One downside for these plants in more verdant areas is that they are invisible death rays to winged creatures--so I've heard.)
Angky
09-13-2022, 08:27 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have never seen anything like these, but I have read about them at sometime. Quite an interesting was to convert sunlight to electricity. I would have concerns similar to those expressed by Angky. I personally wouldn't want to get too close to them. Thanks for sharing the images and info.

09-13-2022, 08:53 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice images Richard. As Angky mentioned, they have had real problems with birds being incinerated by the directed rays. I have seen videos of birds spontaneously turning to smoke and ash it is that hot and intense.
09-14-2022, 04:11 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Windmills and Solar Furnaces pose a big risk to birds indeed.
Thank you all for your interest.

Regards