Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Why I Keep Penlights In My Bag
Posted By: Mike Cash, 12-22-2008, 05:45 AM

A night photo I took this evening after parking my truck. Thirty second exposure (tripod, of course) with the focus set by estimating the distance and using a penlight to focus via the distance scale on the lens. I then used the same LED penlight to illuminate the coupler.

Pentax K20D
S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5

Views: 1,538
12-22-2008, 11:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Note to self...must buy penlight. Nice one Mike.
12-22-2008, 11:47 PM   #3
Damn Brit

I have a 'hands free' one that fits over my ear like a bluetooth earpiece. Yo can get some call effects with those led's.
12-23-2008, 01:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seen this used with great result in others threads I have one

cheers

12-23-2008, 02:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Whether used to illuminate a scene or not, they're definitely handy to have if you go out on a night shoot or to some low-light venue. They cost very little and take up almost no space in a camera bag.

Under normal circumstances I would have laid the penlight down at my focus point and used it as a focus aid, but there was no way I was putting it in all that grease. It can also be used to illuminate a scene for focusing through the viewfinder, but I just decided to use the distance scale on this shot.
12-23-2008, 04:30 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I suffer from FBA - flashlight buying addiction! I have flashlights of all sizes and strengths tucked away everywhere. I am never more than 10' away from a flashlight and the new, small LED ones are fantastic! The batteries last a long time and I love the blue/white light. I often use a small flashlight to highlight a subject.

Brighten up your life - buy a flashlight!