Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Small Butterflies
Lens: Tamron 24-135 Macro Camera: Pentax KP Photo Location: Yard ISO: 125 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: MikeNArk, 09-28-2022, 05:58 PM

My wife told me that a number of small butterflies were on a plant in the front yard. I believe it is called a House Doc. Not sure of the plant or butterfly ID. A few views.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Last edited by MikeNArk; 09-28-2022 at 06:05 PM.
Views: 274
09-28-2022, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, Mike. Your butterflies are Eastern Tailed-Blues, Cupido comyntas. The topside is azure blue with a black border (males) or dark brown with a bluish-purple suffusion toward the wing base (females). Great shots! - Jack
09-28-2022, 07:16 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Hi, Mike. Your butterflies are Eastern Tailed-Blues, Cupido comyntas. The topside is azure blue with a black border (males) or dark brown with a bluish-purple suffusion toward the wing base (females). Great shots! - Jack
Thanks much for the ID of the butterflies and your nice comments. I think that ID came up.on my phone app, but I didn't trust it as it said a medium sized butterfly?
09-28-2022, 08:01 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice shots Mike. We have a lot of these butterflies in this area, and I really like their markings. They are pretty small, about the size of a quarter.

09-29-2022, 06:20 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you, Todd. Yes, these butterflies are plentiful here, also. Active little guys. Don't like posing. I photographed some Monarchs yesterday at the nature preserve. I'll be going trough those photos soon and posting some shots over the next few days. Also saw another interesting butterfly, also, that I'll be posting.