Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Sundown On Lighthouse At Point Arena
Lens: HD-DA 55-300 + 1.4x Converter Camera: K-70 Photo Location: North Coast California ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: angkymac, 09-28-2022, 06:52 PM

Horizontal sunlight going through a lot of ocean mist to hit the cliffs and lighthouse.
The shot was taken from the better part of a mile away from the lighthouse, so the detail is not perfectly sharp.
I could have returned to get the DA300 lens and the K1, but it probably would not have made a lot of difference due to the mist.
The mist did not enhance anything, as a fog might have done, since it was just a general condition of the air all the way through the scene.
I was able to reduce the mist in this photo; the results can be seen in the slight graininess and orange cast.
A slight bit of chroma on high contrast areas can be seen when the image is enlarged--this is due to the 55-300 zoom plus 1.4x converter. Yet that fringing is extremely minimal--a testimony to the excellent optics of that consumer-level lens (as has often been said).
At any rate, the lighthouse is striking enough on its cliffs that even shot from such a distance through such "dirty" air, it still commands the scene.
Angky.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Views: 147
09-28-2022, 07:11 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Angky, thanks for posting this companion shot of the lighthouse. Up on the high cliff, it does command the scene. Despite the distance involved in taking the shot, the image does have good detail and I really like those shadowy cliffs below it. Well done.
09-28-2022, 08:07 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Angky, this is a nice shot of the Point Arena Lighthouse. I took some photos of it from a point probably pretty close to this location several years ago. It is always difficult dealing with the mist resulting from the surf pounding onto the rocks below. However, that is also what gives it a special atmosphere.
09-28-2022, 09:17 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Angky, thanks for posting this companion shot of the lighthouse. Up on the high cliff, it does command the scene. Despite the distance involved in taking the shot, the image does have good detail and I really like those shadowy cliffs below it. Well done.
Thanks for giving your perspective on the view; I do value that.
Angky.

---------- Post added 09-28-22 at 09:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Angky, this is a nice shot of the Point Arena Lighthouse. I took some photos of it from a point probably pretty close to this location several years ago. It is always difficult dealing with the mist resulting from the surf pounding onto the rocks below. However, that is also what gives it a special atmosphere.
Yes, you are very right about the special atmosphere.
That is one of the things I struggled with in post--trying to make it into a catching image but leaving the atmosphere in it.
I'll have to work on some variations in that until I learn how to process these kinds of images.
Thanks for your input.
Angky.