Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Monarch Butterflies at the Nature Preserve
Lens: Sigma 170-500 DG Camera: Pentax K-5IIs Photo Location: Hendrix Nature Preserve ISO: 320 Shutter Speed: 1/320s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: MikeNArk, 09-30-2022, 05:02 PM

Visiting the Hendrix Nature Preserve, we found that some Monarchs had found there way to our area. As normal, I took way too many shots. Here are some.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Views: 362
09-30-2022, 07:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
All quality shots. Thanks for posting them.
10-01-2022, 08:15 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
All quality shots. Thanks for posting them.
Thanks for the nice comments. Yesterday, there were no Monarchs to be found at this site. I hope that we see more soon.
10-01-2022, 03:00 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Every typical--and untypical--angle for a good shot of the monarch.
Highly detailed and quite interesting to look at.
Angky.

10-02-2022, 07:28 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Every typical--and untypical--angle for a good shot of the monarch.
Highly detailed and quite interesting to look at.
Angky.
Thanks, Angky. Great description of the shot series. I am glad that you found them interesting. Do you think it's too many?
10-02-2022, 08:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful photos!! I love monarch butterflies, but we don’t see many around here! Thank you for posting!!
10-02-2022, 10:31 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
Beautiful photos!! I love monarch butterflies, but we don’t see many around here! Thank you for posting!!
Thanks for your comments. Photographing Monarch butterflies is hit or miss around here also. I was fortunate to photograph some earlier this year and these a few days ago. Last year, I saw only one live Monarch from a distance.

10-02-2022, 11:15 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
These are some terrific captures of Monarchs, Mike. You have a very nice variety of poses showing off their great colors. I just finished processing a whole bunch of butterfly shots from a few days ago and will be posting some soon, including some Monarchs. The butterflies are really moving around here now, and there are many different species.
10-02-2022, 12:31 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
These are some terrific captures of Monarchs, Mike. You have a very nice variety of poses showing off their great colors. I just finished processing a whole bunch of butterfly shots from a few days ago and will be posting some soon, including some Monarchs. The butterflies are really moving around here now, and there are many different species.
Thank you for your comments, Todd. There have been a variety of of different butterflies lately, some that I've not seen before. These photos were taken a few days ago and I have not seen the Monarchs since. I will keep looking for more.
10-03-2022, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Thanks, Angky. Great description of the shot series. I am glad that you found them interesting. Do you think it's too many?
I don't know about too many or too few. However many you want to show would be my answer.
But you did have a lot of different views and that gave a lot of different perspectives on that butterfly.
Some perspectives I had never seen before nor thought to photograph. Yet there they were in your series and were interesting to see.
Angky.
10-03-2022, 02:26 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
I don't know about too many or too few. However many you want to show would be my answer.
But you did have a lot of different views and that gave a lot of different perspectives on that butterfly.
Some perspectives I had never seen before nor thought to photograph. Yet there they were in your series and were interesting to see.
Angky.
Thanks Angky. I do like to show them from different perspectives to show different aspects. I usually have many photos to chose from, and I like the ones that I post to be somewhat different.