Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Some Kind of Hoverfly
Lens: Irix 150mm Macro and DA*300 Camera: K-3II Photo Location: Backyard 
Posted By: ToddK, 10-03-2022, 08:27 AM

Caught this little fly feeding on the Vitex shrub in the backyard. The first was shot with the DA*300 and 1.4x Teleconverter. The other two were with the Irix 150mm macro.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Views: 168
10-03-2022, 09:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shots. The DA-300 works well with the teleconverter. Interesting striped body on the hover fly. Good detail in all.
10-03-2022, 02:46 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A "HOVER"-fly you say?
You sure got that right! How can you make a fly hover any better than that?
Great shots!
Would I find an Irix 150 macro to be of benefit? it's tempting, but the "close-ups" done by the 300mm seem about as good as one could get.
The 35mm macro you shoot with looks like an even better temptation. Yet this fly under that 150 is really good!
Angky.
10-03-2022, 03:32 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Nice shots. The DA-300 works well with the teleconverter. Interesting striped body on the hover fly. Good detail in all.
Thanks Mike! I think the DA*300 is certainly one of the best lens to pair with the HD 1.4x teleconverter.
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
A "HOVER"-fly you say?
You sure got that right! How can you make a fly hover any better than that?
Great shots!
Would I find an Irix 150 macro to be of benefit? it's tempting, but the "close-ups" done by the 300mm seem about as good as one could get.
The 35mm macro you shoot with looks like an even better temptation. Yet this fly under that 150 is really good!
Angky.
Thanks Angky! Your question is a tough one for me. I wouldn't part with any of the three lenses. I actually bought the 300 to pair with my 1.4x teleconverter for birds and wildlife shots, but it really works well as a close-up lens for insects. The Irix 150 is such a fun lens to shoot with even though it is manual focus. It is a serious macro lens that is really nice to work with from a tripod. If you are serious about macro, it is definitely one to consider. The 35mm is probably my most versatile lens, and I rarely go anywhere without it. Heck, I guess I am of no help, just buy all of them!