Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
7 Likes  #1
Decidedly Red
Lens: D FA 28-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Angleton, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 10-12-2022, 06:43 AM

My wife and I stopped by a Fall car show on Saturday - it was something of a disappointment, but I took a few shots before the heat drove us away. Here are pics of three REALLY RED cars; a '65 Mustang convertible, a "70ish" Chevy Nova SS and a '61 Chevy Bel Air.

This post is dedicated to our forum friend, Tonytee, who has delighted me many times over the years with his beautifully captured pics of red flowers.

Jer

Views: 341
10-12-2022, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
And Red Cars go faster or so they say!
10-12-2022, 01:41 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
No, they just get stopped quicker and more often for speeding😉.

---------- Post added 10-12-22 at 01:47 PM ----------

Jer, dedicating this selection of images of bright red cars to Tony is appropriate. Tony probably shoots more red flowers than anyone. These are some beautiful images of classic red cars. Well done.

Last edited by MikeNArk; 10-12-2022 at 01:48 PM.
10-13-2022, 07:15 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Well . . . . . . you and I know grey ones are quicker!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
No, they just get stopped quicker and more often for speeding😉.

Jer, dedicating this selection of images of bright red cars to Tony is appropriate. Tony probably shoots more red flowers than anyone. These are some beautiful images of classic red cars. Well done.
Thanks much, Mike.

Jer

10-13-2022, 06:36 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This certainly supports the red theme!
And is a good tribute to Tony's red roses--although I still maintain that his are an astonishingly intense red!
Your K-1 handled the red color in the paint quite well--I've seen my Pentax sensors hiccup a bit with reds--something I need to learn to fix in post.
Angky.
10-14-2022, 06:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
No, they just get stopped quicker and more often for speeding��.

Many thanks Mike.

Tony

---------- Post added 10-14-22 at 06:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
My wife and I stopped by a Fall car show on Saturday - it was something of a disappointment, but I took a few shots before the heat drove us away. Here are pics of three REALLY RED cars; a '65 Mustang convertible, a "70ish" Chevy Nova SS and a '61 Chevy Bel Air.

This post is dedicated to our forum friend, Tonytee, who has delighted me many times over the years with his beautifully captured pics of red flowers.

Jer

Greatly appreciate your dedicating this wonderful capture of early American jewels to me. Wonderful photography here which is not atypical of the K-1 with that awesome lens, coupled with your amazing skillset. ))

Tony

Last edited by Tonytee; 10-14-2022 at 06:32 PM.
10-15-2022, 07:14 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
This certainly supports the red theme!
And is a good tribute to Tony's red roses--although I still maintain that his are an astonishingly intense red!
Your K-1 handled the red color in the paint quite well--I've seen my Pentax sensors hiccup a bit with reds--something I need to learn to fix in post.
Angky.
Thanks, Angky. I've never had any complaints regarding red with my K-1 nor - for that matter - with any other digital camera. Maybe my PP regimen levels the field and minimizes the differences between sensors, although it's not my intention to do so.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Many thanks Mike.

Tony

---------- Post added 10-14-22 at 06:31 PM ----------

Greatly appreciate your dedicating this wonderful capture of early American jewels to me. Wonderful photography here which is not atypical of the K-1 with that awesome lens, coupled with your amazing skillset. ))

Tony
Dedication was my pleasure, buddy . . . . and thanks for the kind words regarding the car pics!!

Jer

10-15-2022, 08:15 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fantastic series of fine-looking red classics. Particularly that Bel Air. They really knew how to use chrome trim to dress up cars back in those days.
10-16-2022, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Sailor, all those cars have memories for me.

First, the '61 Chevy Belair bubbleback '. My parents had a '61 Chevy Nomad which was the Impala station wagon.

It was black with a white stripe, V8, Oldsmobile roof rack, Air bag load levellers, heavy duty Eaz Lift hitch, over sized wheels and tires. We towed our Shasta trailer with it, on innumerable camping trips. Great family car.

Next the Chevy Nova SS. Back in 1970, my best buddy at the time, had a new '70 Nova SS with the 350 V8, 4 speed Muncie transmission. Looked sharp, went well (14.64@ 95 mph in the quarter.

The 1964.5 Mustang convertible. The first Mustang I ever saw was on the next street to ours, one April day in 1964, shortly after they were introduced. It was a white convertible, 4 speed manual, the 260 cube V8 (remember that one), the Rally Pak instrument cluster.

The driver was helping someone move, and had a large plant in the rear seat, the convertible top was down.

First time I saw a high performance mustang was an early '65 fastback, 4 speed, with the 289 cube/ 271 hp, K Code engine. Quite a car, which would be worth a lot of bucks right now.

Memories Jer. Memories.
10-16-2022, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Fantastic series of fine-looking red classics. Particularly that Bel Air. They really knew how to use chrome trim to dress up cars back in those days.
Thanks for the kind words, buddy!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Sailor, all those cars have memories for me.

First, the '61 Chevy Belair bubbleback '. My parents had a '61 Chevy Nomad which was the Impala station wagon.

It was black with a white stripe, V8, Oldsmobile roof rack, Air bag load levellers, heavy duty Eaz Lift hitch, over sized wheels and tires. We towed our Shasta trailer with it, on innumerable camping trips. Great family car.

Next the Chevy Nova SS. Back in 1970, my best buddy at the time, had a new '70 Nova SS with the 350 V8, 4 speed Muncie transmission. Looked sharp, went well (14.64@ 95 mph in the quarter.

The 1964.5 Mustang convertible. The first Mustang I ever saw was on the next street to ours, one April day in 1964, shortly after they were introduced. It was a white convertible, 4 speed manual, the 260 cube V8 (remember that one), the Rally Pak instrument cluster.

The driver was helping someone move, and had a large plant in the rear seat, the convertible top was down.

First time I saw a high performance mustang was an early '65 fastback, 4 speed, with the 289 cube/ 271 hp, K Code engine. Quite a car, which would be worth a lot of bucks right now.

Memories Jer. Memories.
Memories certainly follow old guys like me around.

I know I've told you that my first car was a 1964 (and a half) Mustang coupe; I took delivery in mid June of that year when I was 17. I may not have mentioned that car's unusual drive train; it had what was called the D-Code 289 V8, which was of sufficiently low compression to burn regular gas but also had 4-BBL carb; it was rated at 210 HP. This engine was only built during the spring of '64 and only available on the Mustang and the Mercury Comet Cyclone. The surprising thing was my car (as with other D-Code cars) was equipped with Ford's heavy-duty, top-loader 4-speed tranny - true overkill, but the only 4-gear tranny Ford had available to manage even the modest torque of the D-Code motor. In July of '64, the D-Code was replaced with the higher-compression A-Code 289 4V, which made 225 HP and was accompanied with a less expensive 4-speed sourced in Europe. My '67 Cougar had that drive train.

Jer
10-17-2022, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Thanks for the kind words, buddy!

Jer

Memories certainly follow old guys like me around.

I know I've told you that my first car was a 1964 (and a half) Mustang coupe; I took delivery in mid June of that year when I was 17. I may not have mentioned that car's unusual drive train; it had what was called the D-Code 289 V8, which was of sufficiently low compression to burn regular gas but also had 4-BBL carb; it was rated at 210 HP. This engine was only built during the spring of '64 and only available on the Mustang and the Mercury Comet Cyclone. The surprising thing was my car (as with other D-Code cars) was equipped with Ford's heavy-duty, top-loader 4-speed tranny - true overkill, but the only 4-gear tranny Ford had available to manage even the modest torque of the D-Code motor. In July of '64, the D-Code was replaced with the higher-compression A-Code 289 4V, which made 225 HP and was accompanied with a less expensive 4-speed sourced in Europe. My '67 Cougar had that drive train.

Jer
I almost bought a 1967 Mustang fastback, forest green in colour, the mustang in the grille was removed...and it had American Mag wheels. The owner had done a pretty good job of recreating the Steve McQueen...Bullit...look. However it didn't have the 390 cube V8, that the McQueen car had. The one I was considering had the 289 A -Code 225 HP and 4 speed manual.

In the end, I bought a '67 Camaro RS Coupe, 327 V8, 4 speed Muncie transmission, red line tires (remember them) and Chevy Rallye wheels. It moved out ok, handled alright, but braking was awful....it had 9.5 inch drums on every corner.

I really liked the look of the '67 Mercury Cougar hardtop. Thought it had an elegance to the styling, almost a European aristocratic Grand Touring style, that the other pony cars didn't have.
10-17-2022, 03:26 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Decidedly Red
Nice pics! I think you guys are a bit older than me -- my first car was a second-hand '74 Toyota Corona 2-door hardtop, auto transmission.

One of my favourite photography genres is classic cars, and every summer I get out to quite a few weekly cruise nights and shows around the Ottawa area.

I don't think we'll ever see cars like this again. I don't mean the petrol-fueled engines per se, but rather the great styling and overall distinctive designs. Indeed, I think the designers of the 60's and 70's (and even the late '50s) fashioned just the right lines, flairs, accents, and chrome -- with a certain confidence and panache.

- Craig
10-17-2022, 04:04 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Nice pics! I think you guys are a bit older than me -- my first car was a second-hand '74 Toyota Corona 2-door hardtop, auto transmission.

One of my favourite photography genres is classic cars, and every summer I get out to quite a few weekly cruise nights and shows around the Ottawa area.

I don't think we'll ever see cars like this again. I don't mean the petrol-fueled engines per se, but rather the great styling and overall distinctive designs. Indeed, I think the designers of the 60's and 70's (and even the late '50s) fashioned just the right lines, flairs, accents, and chrome -- with a certain confidence and panache.

- Craig
I'm glad you enjoyed the pics, Craig and thanks for the kind words. There was, indeed, lots of emphasis on styling in those days!

Jer
10-17-2022, 04:23 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote

- Craig
Think we are Craig. I was born in the late '40's.

My first vehicle was a Czechoslovakian made '65 Jawa 50cc motorcycle. First car, I bought was a '61 VW Type 1 (Beetle) Deluxe.

Both vehicles were well designed and executed, reliable and durable and made, at factories within 280 miles of each other. Prague and Wolfsburg.