Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Streetlights of Eternity
Lens: 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 Camera: K-1 Mk I Photo Location: Mojave Desert ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F3.5 
Posted By: Ken Lee, 10-18-2022, 11:42 AM

I've been away for a while...not because I don't love you Pentaxians. But unfortunately, my wife's father died, so I've been very busy and preoccupied and reeling from that. He was a super great guy.

Anyway, I don't think I shared this.

Streetlights of Eternity
~~~~~
Star trails seemingly emanating from one of the tufas at Trona Pinnacles, CA on a very hot August evening. The pinnacles are tufas left from an ancient lake bed.
~~~~~
For photos, books and more!
~~~~~
(Plate 8064) Pentax K-1/28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. 48 minutes total "stacked". Each photo 3 minutes f/3.5 ISO 400. 24 August 2022.
Views: 441
10-18-2022, 12:11 PM   #2

Condolences for your loss, Ken.

Thank you for sharing this photo- it is amazing. Your work is inspiring.
10-18-2022, 01:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry for your loss, Ken. Those can be very trying times.

This is an excellent image with good alignment with the north star. That alignment gave you very impressive results.
10-18-2022, 07:32 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Many of us can quite intimately relate to what you say about losing your great guy fa-in-law.
Condolences offered to your wife!
Glad that you are able to continue producing and posting good images.
But don't neglect the more important things of family--which will be there for a good long while!
Carry on!
Angky.

10-18-2022, 09:47 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear the bad news. Glad you shared this image.
10-19-2022, 09:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Billy Bokeh Quote
Condolences for your loss, Ken.

Thank you for sharing this photo- it is amazing. Your work is inspiring.
Thanks. What a great name, Billy Bokeh.

I think it will take a while for my wife to get over it because not only was he a great father and she loved him very much, but she harbors some guilt for having moved far away to the other side of the country. In recent times, we have gone back more often, but of course, it is very difficult to get off work and expensive to fly.

---------- Post added 10-19-22 at 09:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Sorry for your loss, Ken. Those can be very trying times.

This is an excellent image with good alignment with the north star. That alignment gave you very impressive results.
Thanks. We have had a challenging six months or so for sure, not all of it catastrophic, but just different challenges. Surgery and recover for a detached retina, doing a ton of work around the house, and her father passing away are some of the things. But I also can't complain so much because we generally lead good lives and we have to recognize and embrace that.

I was actually slightly nervous that I missed the placement of the North Star since because of my vision is currently not so great!! I checked and re-checked several times before settling on it.

P.S. I am getting cataract surgery soon, so that should address my blurry vision. Sorry to say, in this case, I have not embraced the bokeh.

---------- Post added 10-19-22 at 09:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Many of us can quite intimately relate to what you say about losing your great guy fa-in-law.
Condolences offered to your wife!
Glad that you are able to continue producing and posting good images.
But don't neglect the more important things of family--which will be there for a good long while!
Carry on!
Angky.
Exactly, Angky. We have been doing the family thing and really spending time there and that, so I just basically was largely absent from being online for over a month.

Thanks.

---------- Post added 10-19-22 at 09:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Sorry to hear the bad news. Glad you shared this image.
It's from August, but I finally had a chance to share it. Phewwww. What a bunch of months. Thanks.
10-19-2022, 09:45 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ken I had detached retina issues in both eyes about 36 years ago. I’ve been lucky to keep good enough vision to drive and read over that span. It does make me reluctant to use manual focus however.

10-19-2022, 04:34 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
ET Phone Home! Very cool.

Jer
10-19-2022, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Ken I had detached retina issues in both eyes about 36 years ago. I’ve been lucky to keep good enough vision to drive and read over that span. It does make me reluctant to use manual focus however.
Oh yeah, I could see that! I hope you didn't have detached retina issues in both eyes simultaneously. I would have serious issues if both my eyes were as blurry as my right eye!

---------- Post added 10-19-22 at 08:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
ET Phone Home! Very cool.

Jer
"Elliooooooooooot!"

Thanks!
10-20-2022, 05:56 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am getting cataract surgery soon, so that should address my blurry vision. Sorry to say, in this case, I have not embraced the bokeh.

Cataract surgery will help a lot. I had both eyes done a few years ago. It clears the muddy waters. About a year after the surgery, I also had to have laser treatment to clear up scar tissue under both lens. Kind of like being a target in a video game. Over all it turned out well and I only need glasses for reading. Best of luck to you
10-20-2022, 11:43 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote

Cataract surgery will help a lot. I had both eyes done a few years ago. It clears the muddy waters. About a year after the surgery, I also had to have laser treatment to clear up scar tissue under both lens. Kind of like being a target in a video game. Over all it turned out well and I only need glasses for reading. Best of luck to you
That sounds fantastic, a great outcome. I just hope you didn't have to have both eyes done simultaneously. That seems like it would be sort of challenging.

I look forward to getting some of my vision back. Right now, I'm not nervous about it at all. Who knows, that might change!!

When I had the detached retina, it was all so sudden that I didn't have time to really react strongly to it. I just had to order the special chair, gather a bunch of stuff to survive being face-down for eight days straight, and get to it. Never had an opportunity to freak out.