Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Random Shots from a Recent Car Show
Lens: DFA 28-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Angleton, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 10-30-2022, 09:31 AM

Here are some shots I grabbed at a recent auto show which centered around rods, customs and American cars from the '50s, '60s and '70s.

Jer

Post-war Pontiac - maybe a '50??? My Dad owned Pontiacs in the early '50s - they were flashy, 2-door hardtops with no center post. I can barely remember them, but I do recall a feature of the dashboard radio speaker that looked a bit like a small steering wheel, which I held riding beside my Dad and pretending to drive (no seat belts in those days!):

A late-fifties T-Bird ('58 or '59?). My Dad loved these cars and wanted a coupe badly but wasn't willing to part with the cash to bring one home:

A 1970 or 1971 Camaro. My wife and I owned one from '71 to '75 - it was one of my all-time favorite cars:

A '65 Ford Galaxy convertible (or perhaps an aircraft carrier run aground ):

A '56 Corvette (according to the license plate):

Views: 432
10-30-2022, 11:20 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great series of shots of older classic cars.
That Pontiac is definitely an early 50's model and the T-Bird reminds me of the early "Batmobile" from the sixties TV series. The 1965 Ford was a big style change, boxy and no round tail lights! The Camaro and Corvette are true classics with style that looks great even today. A trip down memory lane
10-30-2022, 03:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great shots of some classic Tanks built when gasoline was cheap!
10-30-2022, 06:54 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Here are some shots I grabbed at a recent auto show which centered around rods, customs and American cars from the '50s, '60s and '70s.

Jer

Post-war Pontiac - maybe a '50??? My Dad owned Pontiacs in the early '50s - they were flashy, 2-door hardtops with no center post. I can barely remember them, but I do recall a feature of the dashboard radio speaker that looked a bit like a small steering wheel, which I held riding beside my Dad and pretending to drive (no seat belts in those days!):

A late-fifties T-Bird ('58 or '59?). My Dad loved these cars and wanted a coupe badly but wasn't willing to part with the cash to bring one home:

A 1970 or 1971 Camaro. My wife and I owned one from '71 to '75 - it was one of my all-time favorite cars:

A '65 Ford Galaxy convertible (or perhaps an aircraft carrier run aground ):

A '56 Corvette (according to the license plate):

Nice pictures of the cars, my first car was a 1958 Pontiac chieftain convertible. I really liked that car. I got a ticket with it for going to fast.

10-31-2022, 07:39 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Great series of shots of older classic cars.
That Pontiac is definitely an early 50's model and the T-Bird reminds me of the early "Batmobile" from the sixties TV series. The 1965 Ford was a big style change, boxy and no round tail lights! The Camaro and Corvette are true classics with style that looks great even today. A trip down memory lane
Thanks for the kind words, Mike.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Great shots of some classic Tanks built when gasoline was cheap!
Much appreciated, EM.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by rhanz Quote
Nice pictures of the cars, my first car was a 1958 Pontiac chieftain convertible. I really liked that car. I got a ticket with it for going to fast.
Thank you. Wow - a slick, Pontiac '58 convertible - you were living large. We got a convertible in '58, as well - a Morris Minor with 36 horsepower and little chance of getting a ticket!

Jer
10-31-2022, 06:03 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What happened to the Ford?
It's the only one where your K1 failed to paint the car red!
Brilliant reds (of various tones) on all the others.
Angky.
11-01-2022, 05:43 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
What happened to the Ford?
It's the only one where your K1 failed to paint the car red!
Brilliant reds (of various tones) on all the others.
Angky.
I guess the Ford didn't get the memo.

Thanks for the nice words.

Jer

11-01-2022, 07:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It’s a nice series, I am partial to fords, as you can tell by the 66 fairlane ragtop in my avitar. Over the years I have also had a 64 falcon ragtop, a 65 T-Bird, and a 68 mustang.

I also love the T-Bird ragtop you captured.

As for the color of the 65 Galixy by the mid 60’s the Color’s had shifted to much softer tones and some metal flake finishes. My 66 fairlane started out as a light greenish gold metal flake
11-02-2022, 08:44 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
It’s a nice series, I am partial to fords, as you can tell by the 66 fairlane ragtop in my avitar. Over the years I have also had a 64 falcon ragtop, a 65 T-Bird, and a 68 mustang.

I also love the T-Bird ragtop you captured.

As for the color of the 65 Galixy by the mid 60’s the Color’s had shifted to much softer tones and some metal flake finishes. My 66 fairlane started out as a light greenish gold metal flake
Thanks, Lowell.

We certainly were Ford Folk back in the '60s. Our "family" cars (my Dad's daily drivers) sequenced through a '60 Comet sedan, a '62 Monterey, a '65 Monterey and a '71 Monterey - all 4-door sedans. In '63, we traded our second car, our trusty Morris Minor convertible, for a Comet convertible, an S-22 model with bucket seats and a 4-speed manual transmission. The '63 was powered with a 170 CID motor, which just wasn't enough to push the relatively heavy convertible with any verve. Consequently, in June of '64, the Comet was replaced with a Mustang coupe with a 4-BBL V-8 and a 4-speed, which became my car when I took it to college. Over 2.5 years, I managed to put over 63,000 miles on the Mustang, and in early '67, I traded it for a newly introduced Cougar, which had essentially the same drive train. Two years later, the Cougar was replaced by a '69 Mach I.

The Mustang (past and present) remains one of my favorite cars.

Jer
11-02-2022, 01:01 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Thanks, Lowell.

We certainly were Ford Folk back in the '60s. Our "family" cars (my Dad's daily drivers) sequenced through a '60 Comet sedan, a '62 Monterey, a '65 Monterey and a '71 Monterey - all 4-door sedans. In '63, we traded our second car, our trusty Morris Minor convertible, for a Comet convertible, an S-22 model with bucket seats and a 4-speed manual transmission. The '63 was powered with a 170 CID motor, which just wasn't enough to push the relatively heavy convertible with any verve. Consequently, in June of '64, the Comet was replaced with a Mustang coupe with a 4-BBL V-8 and a 4-speed, which became my car when I took it to college. Over 2.5 years, I managed to put over 63,000 miles on the Mustang, and in early '67, I traded it for a newly introduced Cougar, which had essentially the same drive train. Two years later, the Cougar was replaced by a '69 Mach I.

The Mustang (past and present) remains one of my favorite cars.

Jer
My family was pretty much the same, ford/meteor full size wagons 54, 60, 67, 71, 78 plus a 69 midsized mercury. All but the 54 we’re country squire trim.

Re your 63 comet, I am surprised at a 170 cid inline 6 with a 4 speed and not a small block V8 (221cid) at the time. The 63 falcon V8 option was the 221.

My 64 falcon started with a 260 V8 but after it ate a valve, I shoehorned a 351 4BBL into it.
11-03-2022, 07:59 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
My family was pretty much the same, ford/meteor full size wagons 54, 60, 67, 71, 78 plus a 69 midsized mercury. All but the 54 we’re country squire trim.

Re your 63 comet, I am surprised at a 170 cid inline 6 with a 4 speed and not a small block V8 (221cid) at the time. The 63 falcon V8 option was the 221.

My 64 falcon started with a 260 V8 but after it ate a valve, I shoehorned a 351 4BBL into it.
Hey Lowell - In the spring of '63, when we ordered the Comet convertible, the 260 V8 became an option for the car, but it was not available with a 4-speed, so I opted for the six. That 260 was also briefly available in the early Mustangs - but not with a 4-speed. Fortunately (for me) a 4-speed was available with the 4-BBL D-Code 289 (210 HP), which was briefly installed in the Mustang and Comet Cyclone. Later, we learned that during this early period of the Mustang's production, the famous Top Loader was the only suitable transmission Ford had for a V8 (even one with the modest output of the D-Code). We discovered such was the case when late in the car's sojourn with us, the transmission was pulled for some service work. The mechanics were astounded.

In July of '65, about two months after my car came off the line, Ford began building the '65 model in which a 2-BBL 289 replaced the 260; also replaced was the D-Code motor with the somewhat more powerful, higher compression A-Code engine which made 225 HP. At the same time, the Top Loader also was replaced with a less expensive 4-speed that Ford sourced from England. The A-Code drivetrain was in my '67 Cougar.

Jer