Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Shallow Depth of Field - Cracked Earth
Lens: 24-70 Camera: Pentax K-1 Photo Location: Toolondo ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/20s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: Pentaxian359, 10-31-2022, 02:23 AM

Although having used f11 on the Pentax DFA 2.8 24-70mm lens, this image seems to have a very shallow depth of field. At a recent local Camera Club competition, it achieved a Second place. Then during the Judging, there was a fairly active discussion between a couple of members and the Judge who was present. Some of the judges (previous) verbal comments were that he initially wasn't sure, however, he kept coming back to it as he liked the amount of focus kept low in the image. He also noted that all other details, i.e. the tree line, were irrelevant, the Title of the image is "Cracked Earth" after all. I feel that the commentary from the other members meant that they didn't like the image. They also don't shoot Pentax!

Would like to acknowledge the generosity of Ivan in providing the lenses for this competition, thanks Ivan.

Attached Images

Last edited by Pentaxian359; 10-31-2022 at 02:28 AM. Reason: adding extra information
Views: 361
10-31-2022, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think this is an outstanding image that is very well composed. I don't get why some people would have said the trees are irrelevant. They are as relevant as the dried mud in creating the story that this photo tells of drought and its effects. I also like the shallow depth of field with the trees and sky blurred out in the background. Well done!
10-31-2022, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like it, too. The background is clear enough to continue the story in the foreground, which is the subject. Well done!
10-31-2022, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great capture of the "cracked earth". This shot does illustrate the effects of drought very well, and is a scene that is repeated in many areas. I'd say the comments made about the trees are irrelevant.

10-31-2022, 06:25 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Interesting anecdote about the contest.
I've shot a long of cracked earth shots, and this one really does stand out very well!
Angky.
11-01-2022, 10:38 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
I think this is an outstanding image that is very well composed. I don't get why some people would have said the trees are irrelevant. They are as relevant as the dried mud in creating the story that this photo tells of drought and its effects. I also like the shallow depth of field with the trees and sky blurred out in the background. Well done!
ToddK, thanks so much for your kind appraisal of my image. Really appreciate your comments. Yes, the trees needed to be included to tell the story, they just didn't need to be in focus, as if they're fading away.

---------- Post added 11-02-22 at 04:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
I like it, too. The background is clear enough to continue the story in the foreground, which is the subject. Well done!
Also appreciate your kind and succinct comment. So glad that everyone here on PF seems to "get" what I was trying to convey, cheers and thanks!

---------- Post added 11-02-22 at 04:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Great capture of the "cracked earth". This shot does illustrate the effects of drought very well, and is a scene that is repeated in many areas. I'd say the comments made about the trees are irrelevant.
Thanks also MikeNArk, I really couldn't imagine the image with the tree in focus to be honest.
In Australia, we are thankfully no longer in drought, I would imagine that to revisit this place now, there would be quite a lot of water in the lake and the 'cracked earth' would now be mud, thanks to La Nina.

---------- Post added 11-02-22 at 04:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Interesting anecdote about the contest.
I've shot a long of cracked earth shots, and this one really does stand out very well!
Angky.
Angky, l also appreciate your kind comments regarding my image, thankyou! So glad you like it. It's becoming one of my favourites this year.
12-14-2022, 08:50 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxian359 Quote
Although having used f11 on the Pentax DFA 2.8 24-70mm lens, this image seems to have a very shallow depth of field. At a recent local Camera Club competition, it achieved a Second place. Then during the Judging, there was a fairly active discussion between a couple of members and the Judge who was present. Some of the judges (previous) verbal comments were that he initially wasn't sure, however, he kept coming back to it as he liked the amount of focus kept low in the image. He also noted that all other details, i.e. the tree line, were irrelevant, the Title of the image is "Cracked Earth" after all. I feel that the commentary from the other members meant that they didn't like the image. They also don't shoot Pentax!

Would like to acknowledge the generosity of Ivan in providing the lenses for this competition, thanks Ivan.
Great!

12-17-2022, 11:04 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I nominate this image
12-17-2022, 04:44 PM   #9

Need rain?