Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
One Hundred Years of Salt and Sea
Lens: 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 Camera: K-1 Mk I Photo Location: Salton Sea, CA 
Posted By: Ken Lee, 11-15-2022, 11:36 PM

One Hundred Years of Salt and Sea
~~~~~
What's left of a crusty pier at the abandoned Salton Sea naval base. And no, it hasn't been here for a hundred years, but it's closing in on it. I illuminated the scene with a handheld flashlight while the camera's shutter was open during this long exposure night photo. This was part of a Notorious RGB 1165-mile photography safari with Mike Cooper, George Loo, and George the monkey.
~~~~~
For photos, books and more
(Plate 8341) Pentax K-1/28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. 105 seconds f/8 ISO 200. October 2022.
Views: 458
11-16-2022, 02:26 AM   #2

Tasty visual rhythm here with different intervals and groupings. That small reflection in the bottom left really makes this for me, it adds just the right amount of interest to the negative space.
11-16-2022, 10:30 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very well done, Ken. Beautiful image!
11-16-2022, 01:58 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello Ken,

Was the Military Base near Bombay Bay on the Eastern side of the Salton Sea, along Rte 111 ? Lots of abandonned sites and materiel there. I spent some time in the State Park campground there.

Regards

11-16-2022, 02:59 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting history surrounding this site. It's pretty amazing that this is still standing after so many years. Cool image with all the posts standing like sentinels and aligned to cast reflections straight back at you. Nice and interesting image.
11-16-2022, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Midorime Quote
Tasty visual rhythm here with different intervals and groupings. That small reflection in the bottom left really makes this for me, it adds just the right amount of interest to the negative space.
Thanks. I really moved around the camera a bit before settling on this composition, trying to achieve some balance while still feeling slightly "off-kilter". And yes, the negative space was really important to me.

---------- Post added 11-16-22 at 07:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Very well done, Ken. Beautiful image!
Thank you!

---------- Post added 11-16-22 at 07:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Hello Ken,

Was the Military Base near Bombay Bay on the Eastern side of the Salton Sea, along Rte 111 ? Lots of abandonned sites and materiel there. I spent some time in the State Park campground there.

Regards
There is a lot of abandoned sites in that area, but no, this is on the other side.

---------- Post added 11-16-22 at 07:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Interesting history surrounding this site. It's pretty amazing that this is still standing after so many years. Cool image with all the posts standing like sentinels and aligned to cast reflections straight back at you. Nice and interesting image.
Thanks. I really loved the reflection in the water, and that's part of what drew me in to take a photo. I feel like the way Salton Sea is decaying, it seems sort of miraculous that any of this stuff is standing, such as this building below, the observation building.