Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
The Arches of Jacumba (abandoned Mission-style bathhouse)
Lens: 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 Camera: K-1 Mk I Photo Location: Southwestern United States 
Posted By: Ken Lee, 11-15-2022, 11:39 PM

The Arches of Jacumba
~~~~~
Night greets the historic abandoned Thomas Health Institute bathhouse with its distinctive Mission-style wraparound arches, located almost within arm's reach of Mexico. Jacumba Hot Springs was one of the first commercially developed spa resorts in California. Here you once could dip in the mineral pools or get a mud pack or a massage. I illuminated the scene with a handheld flashlight while the camera's shutter was open during this long exposure night photo. This was part of a Notorious RGB 1165-mile photography safari with Mike Cooper, George Loo, and George the monkey.
~~~~~
For photos, books and more
~~~~~
(Plate 8425) Pentax K-1/28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. 2 minutes f/8 ISO 200. October 2022.
Views: 289
11-16-2022, 02:25 AM   #2

Excellent night photography once again. This really reminds me of that one Ansel Adams photograph he took of the church at Acoma Pueblo. He took multiple shots there AFAIK but one of them had the building angled pretty much exactly like this in the picture.
11-16-2022, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I once locked myself out of my rental car in midday on Interstate-8 just west of Jacumba. The car was still running with A/C on while I was outside like an idiot in 120 degrees F heat in August. Fortunately a tow truck from nearby Jacumba happened to drive just past me and stopped. The young guy driving said he didn't know how to open a locked car door, that he would drive to Jacumba and send me back his boss who knew "how to steal a car". Meanwhile, while waiting for the mechanic to come back, I found a car antenna on the side of the Highway. I bent it into a hook and, though I scratched the paint of the door jamb, introduced the hook inside the tight space and pulled up the lock button. I drove to Jacumba and said to the owner that everything was back to normal and that he needn't go back to help me along the Interstate and I asked if I owed anything to him for the trouble. The man seemed impressed and said : "You acted like a real gentleman ... just fill up your gas tank and all will be O.K." A mishap I will remember all my life. Your pictures are always so beautiful, Ken.
11-16-2022, 06:50 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Terrific image Ken. The lighting is so well done, as usual.

11-16-2022, 03:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great image and great style in the abandoned bath house. You made it look as if it was open for business. We have our our own bathhouse row in Hot Springs, Arkansas. One of the old bath houses is open for tours to the public as a National Park information center.
11-16-2022, 06:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Midorime Quote
Excellent night photography once again. This really reminds me of that one Ansel Adams photograph he took of the church at Acoma Pueblo. He took multiple shots there AFAIK but one of them had the building angled pretty much exactly like this in the picture.
Thanks! I suppose it's a good angle because it showcases the length of the building and offers repeating but increasingly smaller arch patterns.

I think I found which one you are talking about (Google image link).

---------- Post added 11-16-22 at 08:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
I once locked myself out of my rental car in midday on Interstate-8 just west of Jacumba. The car was still running with A/C on while I was outside like an idiot in 120 degrees F heat in August. Fortunately a tow truck from nearby Jacumba happened to drive just past me and stopped. The young guy driving said he didn't know how to open a locked car door, that he would drive to Jacumba and send me back his boss who knew "how to steal a car". Meanwhile, while waiting for the mechanic to come back, I found a car antenna on the side of the Highway. I bent it into a hook and, though I scratched the paint of the door jamb, introduced the hook inside the tight space and pulled up the lock button. I drove to Jacumba and said to the owner that everything was back to normal and that he needn't go back to help me along the Interstate and I asked if I owed anything to him for the trouble. The man seemed impressed and said : "You acted like a real gentleman ... just fill up your gas tank and all will be O.K." A mishap I will remember all my life. Your pictures are always so beautiful, Ken.
That's quite an adventure, Richard. Glad this wasn't a big deal. I locked myself out of my old hand-me-down 1974 station wagon when I was in high school. These, however, had those knobs on the top of the metal non-glass part of the door that you could grab, so I borrowed a coat hanger and popped it open without much trouble. I did mess up some of the rubber around the window, however.

Thanks for the kind words.

---------- Post added 11-16-22 at 08:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Terrific image Ken. The lighting is so well done, as usual.
Thank you!!

---------- Post added 11-16-22 at 08:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Great image and great style in the abandoned bath house. You made it look as if it was open for business. We have our our own bathhouse row in Hot Springs, Arkansas. One of the old bath houses is open for tours to the public as a National Park information center.
It does look like something is happening there. The bathhouse area there sounds good. Who knows, maybe I'll get over that way someday. I have a friend in Fayetteville now.