Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Sticks and Stones - abandoned stone house near Mexico
Lens: 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 Camera: K-1 Mk I Photo Location: Southwestern United States 
Posted By: Ken Lee, 11-16-2022, 07:04 PM

Sticks and Stones
~~~~~
An old stone building in the Southwest, close to the border of Mexico. I illuminated the scene with a handheld flashlight while the camera's shutter was open during this long exposure night photo. This was part of a Notorious RGB 1165-mile photography safari with Mike Cooper, George Loo, and George the monkey.
~~~~~
For photos, books and more!!
~~~~~
(Plate 8441) Pentax K-1/28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. 130 seconds f/8 ISO 200. October 2022.
Views: 355
11-17-2022, 06:08 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is another very nice one Ken. I really like the blue light. Based on the branches seen through the door, the entire wall must be missing on that side. I am surprised that it is still standing.
11-17-2022, 09:37 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I see what Todd noted about the branches. It actually makes the image more interesting. You can actually see the trees green branches above the roof line.
An excellent capture. The color used in illumination of the interior goes well with the colors of the rock building. Well composed.
11-17-2022, 10:06 AM   #4

I don't have much to add to the existing great comments. The branches create a strange mysterious texture where a wall would be expected creating some cool visual interest.

Exposure and light painting are spot on as always. Awesome job.

11-17-2022, 12:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Midorime Quote
I don't have much to add to the existing great comments. The branches create a strange mysterious texture where a wall would be expected creating some cool visual interest.

Exposure and light painting are spot on as always. Awesome job.
Thanks. The tree growing in the interior of the stone house was fascinating to me, and partially prompted me to accentuate it. Another photographer who was with me had the opposite reaction, wishing the tree wasn't there. We're always looking for different things.

Next month, I am going to be in the South taking photos of some cars that have trees growing through the hoods or cabs, which should be fascinating. Gonna be a c-c-coo-ooo-old shoot for this California guy, though, haha! I don't even own a true winter jacket, so I just ordered one so I don't have to keep dressing in massive amounts of layers like I sometimes do for cold shoots in elevation in California (where it gets down to freezing).

---------- Post added 11-17-22 at 01:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
This is another very nice one Ken. I really like the blue light. Based on the branches seen through the door, the entire wall must be missing on that side. I am surprised that it is still standing.
Believe it or not, all the walls are intact! The tree is simply growing from the ground inside the house! Thanks, Todd!

---------- Post added 11-17-22 at 01:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
I see what Todd noted about the branches. It actually makes the image more interesting. You can actually see the trees green branches above the roof line.
An excellent capture. The color used in illumination of the interior goes well with the colors of the rock building. Well composed.
Thanks, Mike. I really wanted to set the interior apart through that color while holding the detail. And that color is really effective for doing both while adding an odd glow. That is actually an entire tree, growing inside the house, which I found intriguing. I really love this stone building.

This is one of those cases where it was sort of dumb luck in a way. I mean, we knew there were abandoned buildings in the area, but we just drove around until we found this and knew we had to circle back and photograph it in the evening.
11-17-2022, 12:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ken Lee Quote
An old stone building in the Southwest
Always a pleasure to look t your images! Thanks for posting.

- Craig
11-17-2022, 12:33 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A very interesting find. And an interesting treatment of it.
Always I have to wonder about the tales such a place could tell.
Angky.

11-17-2022, 03:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
A very interesting find. And an interesting treatment of it.
Always I have to wonder about the tales such a place could tell.
Angky.
I have not been able to find out very much about this house so far, unfortunately. Thanks.