Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
That Burra ruin
Lens: Sigma 18-35 mm 1:1.8 Art Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Burra, South Australia ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/800s Aperture: F7.1 
Posted By: Grimmus, 11-16-2022, 09:36 PM

A tip of the hat to Mr Ken Duncan, who made this ruin famous many years ago. It became an icon when the image was used on the cover of Midnight Oil's "Diesel and Dust" album. Good rainfall has transformed the ploughed, red, barren earth of Ken Duncan's image into lush grass and canola this year.

Last edited by Grimmus; 11-06-2023 at 02:49 AM.
Views: 479
11-17-2022, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #2

That's an interesting story for the location. Now comparing this to the album cover, I probably wouldn't have recognized that this is the same place if you hadn't said.

The green tones and smooth hills also remind me of the famous Windows XP bliss wallpaper
11-17-2022, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
An iconic image vividly transformed into a new iconic image!
Angky
11-17-2022, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice story for this site. It is now a beautiful place with nice smooth hills.and greenery. A pleasant and tranquil setting. Nice capture.

11-17-2022, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #5

Not to mention the ruins at far right of intact structure connote rebirth as well. Those like myself unfamiliar with the site or previous images might just appreciate the captured serennity.
12-14-2022, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Grimmus Quote
A tip of the hat to Mr Ken Duncan, who made this ruin famous many years ago. It became an icon when the image was used on the cover of Midnight Oil's "Diesel and Dust" album. Good rainfall has transformed the ploughed, red, barren earth of Ken Duncan's image into lush grass and canola this year.
Lovely shot!
12-15-2022, 01:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Apologies for not checking back in but thanks to all for the comments!

12-17-2022, 09:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Scotland perhaps?
12-17-2022, 12:35 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

very nice
12-17-2022, 01:50 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by silcam Quote
Scotland perhaps?
Er, no, the opposite end of the earth in the land downunder, South Australia (the driest state in dry old Australia - it's not often this green!)

QuoteOriginally posted by polarstar Quote
very nice
Thank you very much!
12-17-2022, 10:38 PM   #11
Terry Thiewes

Beautiful house. I'm waiting for a woman to walk out the door. I would have laid it out a bit differently cropping into something closer to, but not totally, a rule of the third. I would have cloned out a couple of things left and right. Overall very striking.