Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
7 Likes  #1
Fleetwood Cadillac-Ac-Ac (Nelson ghost town-night photo with light painting)
Lens: 12mm f/2.8 fisheye Photo Location: Mojave Desert ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Ken Lee, 11-17-2022, 12:19 PM

Fleetwood Cadillac-Ac-Ac
~~~~~
Night falls on a 1940s Cadillac Fleetwood at Nelson ghost town in Nevada. I illuminated the scene with a handheld ProtoMachines LED2 light while the camera's shutter was open during this long exposure night photo. This was on a trip with night photographer Tony Donofrio and George the monkey for a short November trip.
~~~~~
For photos, books and more!!
~~~~~
111 seconds f/8 ISO 200. November 2022.

P.S. Those of you who are up on cars might notice that while it is a Cadillac Fleetwood, the bumper is from a 1950s Buick, making it a rather unusual sort of front end.
Views: 782
11-17-2022, 12:31 PM   #2

Once again, amazing work! You get absolutely beautiful results.
11-17-2022, 12:33 PM   #3

This period had some really iconic and recognizable car designs. Just like your photographic style stands out in a really good way.
11-17-2022, 06:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Billy Bokeh Quote
Once again, amazing work! You get absolutely beautiful results.
Thanks! Greatly appreciated!

---------- Post added 11-17-22 at 07:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Midorime Quote
This period had some really iconic and recognizable car designs. Just like your photographic style stands out in a really good way.
Thanks, greatly appreciated.

I think this is many people’s favorite period for photographing vehicles, or just looking at them.

11-17-2022, 07:58 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That bumper is pretty gaudy on the Fleetwood. Wonder who thought that would look good. It is interesting. Looks like this vehicle was crammed into the remnants of an on gas station. The red light above the old Cadillac is ideal. The fisheye lens created a great perspective to view the car and scene. Weird stuff, but I like it.
11-17-2022, 09:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Nice pix of that old Caddy. What a massive grille...looks like a '40's Jukebox...but an especially attractive Jukebox.
11-18-2022, 07:05 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Fantastic composition and lighting. Obviously, chrome was not in short supply back in the era of this car.

11-18-2022, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great way to regenerate the old scenes--taking a desert-preserved old hulk and revitalizing it in a new way.
One interesting consequence of your lighting style is not only the unnatural look of brilliant lighting horizontally at night, but also the unusual shadows that result.
In this image, I can see shadows going in different directions off of the same rock.
Seems to intensify the 3-D perspective on outstanding items--like the protrusions on the bumper.
Certainly an interesting way to present photographic art.
Angky.
11-19-2022, 11:28 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ever thought of trying a little bit of NEW FINISH car polish on one of these old clunkers to see if it really works like advertised ... LOL !

Best Regards, Ken
11-19-2022, 11:57 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That's awesome.
11-19-2022, 04:07 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
That bumper is pretty gaudy on the Fleetwood. Wonder who thought that would look good. It is interesting. Looks like this vehicle was crammed into the remnants of an on gas station. The red light above the old Cadillac is ideal. The fisheye lens created a great perspective to view the car and scene. Weird stuff, but I like it.
This is an odd hybrid. This is a Cadillac Fleetwood grille, but the enormous bumper is from a 1950s Buick. It is in some sort of old service station. And thanks. I had some difficulty determining how I wanted to offset the car from the interior, and decided that red would be good after experimenting for a while. Thanks. I love weird stuff, and I love creating weird stuff.

---------- Post added 11-19-22 at 05:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Nice pix of that old Caddy. What a massive grille...looks like a '40's Jukebox...but an especially attractive Jukebox.
Haha! Now that would be a helluva jukebox.

---------- Post added 11-19-22 at 05:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Fantastic composition and lighting. Obviously, chrome was not in short supply back in the era of this car.
No, especially here. This is a 1940s Cadillac Fleetwood but with the added benefit of a 1950s Buick bumper attached to it. CHROME!!!! This is so much fun. I love photographing this car.

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Ever thought of trying a little bit of NEW FINISH car polish on one of these old clunkers to see if it really works like advertised ... LOL !

Best Regards, Ken
Yeah. Just buff it out.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That's awesome.
Thanks!!
11-19-2022, 05:23 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ken,

Are you sure this is not Ansel Adams' Cadillac station wagon atop of which he took some of his iconic pictures ?? It looks a lot like his car that he could barely drive at 50 m.p.h.

Regards
11-20-2022, 05:58 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Ken,

Are you sure this is not Ansel Adams' Cadillac station wagon atop of which he took some of his iconic pictures ?? It looks a lot like his car that he could barely drive at 50 m.p.h.

Regards
I don't know anything about Ansel Adams in relation to this, but I can tell you that it's not a station wagon.
11-21-2022, 05:53 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Adams drove a similar Cadillac, but a station wagon model on top of which he installed a platform from where he shot some of his better-known pictures. He was using an 8 X 10 view camera with a 300 mm standard lens, so he had problems with the foreground sharpness of his images unless he could get some distance from near image elements, like from atop such a huge car.

Regards
11-21-2022, 04:52 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lovely image Ken!