Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
Ornamentals On Granite
Lens: D FA 28-105mm Camera: K-1 ii Photo Location: Foresthill Divide, Sierras ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/15s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: angkymac, 11-18-2022, 05:42 PM

Two stunted pines (Ponderosa) stuck to an unforgiving granite wall.
Where their parent seeds fell, that's where they sprouted many years ago.
Although they will never achieve the height and girth of their parent tree, yet they make very fine ornamentals for a richly colored granite.
Like grownup banzai trees.
And the manzanita adds augmenting decoration of a more subtle nature.

I had been shooting some other things from a tripod when I spotted this scene.
Forgot my camera settings and just snapped the shot handheld.
In spite of the mistake, it turned out not too badly and it does represent some of my feelings about such places.
Just glad to see such things.
Angky.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 

Views: 138
11-18-2022, 06:15 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 8,687
That's a steep rock face for anything to grow on. I guess the cracks and crevices in the rock provide enough space tor a foot hold. It would be interesting to monitor the growth of the Ponderosa pines to see how they progress. This is good photo which shows the terrain beautifully. The colors look spot on. Thank goodness for shack reduction. Thanks for sharing the image and narrative. I always enjoy both.
11-18-2022, 06:17 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 826
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Two stunted pines (Ponderosa) stuck to an unforgiving granite wall.
Where their parent seeds fell, that's where they sprouted many years ago.
Although they will never achieve the height and girth of their parent tree, yet they make very fine ornamentals for a richly colored granite.
Like grownup banzai trees.
And the manzanita adds augmenting decoration of a more subtle nature.

I had been shooting some other things from a tripod when I spotted this scene.
Forgot my camera settings and just snapped the shot handheld.
In spite of the mistake, it turned out not too badly and it does represent some of my feelings about such places.
Just glad to see such things.
Angky.
Great picture and I learned something.
11-19-2022, 02:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,453
Well spotted, nice!

11-19-2022, 06:21 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 9,502
Excellent shot Angky. I really like the colors with the rust-colored granite as a backdrop to the greens of the small trees and manzanita. Although these pines may be stunted, their roots are working away at that granite and may even cause some of it to break away.
11-19-2022, 05:51 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 25,211
An optimistic message! Life cab thrive if it has the will.

Jer
11-19-2022, 06:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2019
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,002
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
That's a steep rock face for anything to grow on. I guess the cracks and crevices in the rock provide enough space tor a foot hold. It would be interesting to monitor the growth of the Ponderosa pines to see how they progress. This is good photo which shows the terrain beautifully. The colors look spot on. Thank goodness for shack reduction. Thanks for sharing the image and narrative. I always enjoy both.
Yes, the Pentax in-camera stabilization is a real blessing for me a lot of times. In this shot, I had to do a little bit of sharpening to reduce blur, but it wasn't too bad.
Glad to know that you enjoyed it.
Angky.

---------- Post added 11-19-22 at 07:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rhanz Quote
Great picture and I learned something.
Thanks for the note letting me know you enjoyed it.
From this image, I also learned a bit. I guess that happens just about every time I process an image and really look at it.
Angky.

---------- Post added 11-19-22 at 07:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
Well spotted, nice!
Thank you.
Saying it was "well spotted" seems appropriate because I walked right on past it at first. But for some reason turned back to see what had subconsciously caught my eye.
Angky.

---------- Post added 11-19-22 at 07:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Excellent shot Angky. I really like the colors with the rust-colored granite as a backdrop to the greens of the small trees and manzanita. Although these pines may be stunted, their roots are working away at that granite and may even cause some of it to break away.
Yes, that granite is a nice reddish color. Usually granite looks gray, but I think it has to do with how long it has seen the sun and the rain.
This is rock that was broken away only a few decades back when they built a nearby dam. Probably back in the mid-twentieth century.
I'm wondering how effective those pine roots will eventually be.
Angky.

---------- Post added 11-19-22 at 07:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
An optimistic message! Life cab thrive if it has the will.

Jer
Yep! Those pines sure don't seem to be bothered very much by somebody telling them that they are living in an inhospitable place!
Angky.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bit, camera, colors, granite, image, parent, photo, pines, pm, post, rock, roots, shot, thanks
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Machinery Super MACK tractor hauling huge blocks of granite from Quebec to the U.S. RICHARD L. Post Your Photos! 4 10-23-2022 04:23 PM
Abstract Granite Boulder Nestling Incense Cedar Frond Tip angkymac Post Your Photos! 2 01-25-2022 06:52 PM
Nature Willow Sprouts Between Granite Boulders angkymac Post Your Photos! 5 01-19-2022 08:41 PM
Abstract Pile of Granite Blocks With Licorice Ferns angkymac Post Your Photos! 3 01-10-2022 07:18 PM
Nature Old Wood & Hard Granite In Low Light angkymac Post Your Photos! 10 07-22-2021 07:10 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:23 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top