Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
In search of grub
Lens: DFA 150-450 Camera: K3iii Photo Location: Canberra, Australia ISO: 6400 Shutter Speed: 1/1500s Aperture: F7.1 
Posted By: RobG, 11-26-2022, 01:20 AM

In search of grub
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

Southern Brown Bandicoot at Tidbinbilla Sanctuary in Canberra.
He walked right past my boots, but I couldn't focus that close!
Views: 311
11-26-2022, 01:46 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very well captured wild animal. Very interesting settings on a day with bright sunshine. Excellent work and many thanks for posting.

Tony
11-26-2022, 04:07 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
A very well captured wild animal. Very interesting settings on a day with bright sunshine. Excellent work and many thanks for posting.
Thanks Tony! It's a rare experience to photograph Australian animals in the daytime - most are nocturnal.
11-26-2022, 09:03 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice closeup, Rob. Great capture of that long snout with excellent detail. What is the minimum focus distance for that lens?

11-26-2022, 04:25 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Nice closeup, Rob. Great capture of that long snout with excellent detail. What is the minimum focus distance for that lens?
Thanks Mike! According to the PF lens review, it's 2 metres. My impression is that it changes depending on the focal length, but I could be wrong. Certainly it's further than the distance from my shoulder to the ground. I kind of wish that I'd taken video with my camcorder, but I'm happy with this photo.
11-26-2022, 06:53 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Maybe he's in search of a grub, but he also appears to be keeping a close eye on you.
Angky.
11-27-2022, 06:34 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Terrific close-up Rob! It is a very interesting looking animal. The nose looks like it takes some abuse from digging into things.

11-27-2022, 03:08 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Maybe he's in search of a grub, but he also appears to be keeping a close eye on you.
Not just me, but the other two people who were standing nearby. We stayed still and he went across the ground between us. Very bold for a Bandicoot!

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Terrific close-up Rob! It is a very interesting looking animal. The nose looks like it takes some abuse from digging into things.
Thank you! Yes, you often find conical holes which they dig while sniffing out food. He had just finished pushing his way through leaf litter.