Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Lighting the candles
Lens: HDDA*16-50 PLM Camera: K3iii Photo Location: Canberra, Australia ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: 1/50s Aperture: F5 
Posted By: RobG, 12-06-2022, 03:02 AM

Nara, which was Japan's capital in the 8th century, is the sister-city of Canberra, Australia's national capital. The Nara candle festival is held annually by the Japanese embassy in Nara gardens on the lake, though sadly due to covid and storms, this is the first one for three years. There is a dry rock garden which is adorned with candles like a river of light. Here, the assistants are lighting the candles.

Lighting the candles
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
Views: 212
12-06-2022, 01:24 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Must be spectacular when all the candles are in place and lit! Terrific tradition!

Miami's sister city in Japan is Kagoshima, Miami Beach's is Fujisawa. I think both cities commemorate certain events, like the Spring Festival, but I don't recall anything like this.
12-06-2022, 02:53 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Must be spectacular when all the candles are in place and lit! Terrific tradition!
It is a cool thing to see, like a river of light in the dry rock garden. I have photos from at least one previous event, but I didn't have the K3iii at the time. Unfortunately, the pollen levels right now are horrendous, and I couldn't stay later to take photos with all the candles lit.

QuoteQuote:
Miami's sister city in Japan is Kagoshima, Miami Beach's is Fujisawa. I think both cities commemorate certain events, like the Spring Festival, but I don't recall anything like this.
Maybe you should suggest it? I think it helps that we have the Japanese embassy in Canberra. I've been to Fujisawa, but not Kagoshima (the closest I've been was Kumamoto). Kagoshima is the southernmost capital of the main islands, so the relationship with Florida and Miami makes sense. I once experienced Hatsumode (first shrine visit of the year) in Fujisawa at Yugyou-ji which appears in Hiroshige's ukiyoe of Fujisawa. It was cool to stand where Hiroshige must have stood when he captured that scene.
12-06-2022, 04:10 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
It is a cool thing to see, like a river of light in the dry rock garden. I have photos from at least one previous event, but I didn't have the K3iii at the time. Unfortunately, the pollen levels right now are horrendous, and I couldn't stay later to take photos with all the candles lit.

Maybe you should suggest it? I think it helps that we have the Japanese embassy in Canberra. I've been to Fujisawa, but not Kagoshima (the closest I've been was Kumamoto). Kagoshima is the southernmost capital of the main islands, so the relationship with Florida and Miami makes sense. I once experienced Hatsumode (first shrine visit of the year) in Fujisawa at Yugyou-ji which appears in Hiroshige's ukiyoe of Fujisawa. It was cool to stand where Hiroshige must have stood when he captured that scene.
I'm quite sure the embassy is relevant . I don't think I'd know whom to contact, frankly, as I don't live in the City of Miami...one of those yokels from the far southwestern suburbs, y'know. But I do remember, from decades ago, the donation of a Japanese garden, with authentic tea house, from Kagoshima. The garden was exquisite, absolutely fabulous. It was located on the end of an island in Biscayne Bay, but alas fell into disrepair after some hurricane damage and (unfortunately) vandalism. So the City closed it, and eventually it fell into the abyss when a commercial concern wanted to develop that portion of the island. For some years, that garden was one of the jewels of the city. Not easy to get to but worth the trip.

12-06-2022, 06:29 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shot with beautiful colors and light. I've enjoyed reading your comments and Julie's.

Last edited by MikeNArk; 12-06-2022 at 06:43 PM.
12-07-2022, 04:58 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
I'm quite sure the embassy is relevant . I don't think I'd know whom to contact, frankly, as I don't live in the City of Miami...one of those yokels from the far southwestern suburbs, y'know. But I do remember, from decades ago, the donation of a Japanese garden, with authentic tea house, from Kagoshima. The garden was exquisite, absolutely fabulous. It was located on the end of an island in Biscayne Bay, but alas fell into disrepair after some hurricane damage and (unfortunately) vandalism. So the City closed it, and eventually it fell into the abyss when a commercial concern wanted to develop that portion of the island. For some years, that garden was one of the jewels of the city. Not easy to get to but worth the trip.
Wow! I'm sorry to hear that story about the garden. That's very sad. The best Japanese garden I've seen in Australia is in the NSW town of Cowra. During WW2 there was a POW camp on the outskirts of Cowra, and some of the Japanese POWs tried to break out. Many were killed by machine-gun fire - I suspect that for some, it was a bid to regain their honour through death in battle. After the war, it was decided to build a Japanese garden to reflect the now friendly relationship between the two countries and honour those who died. The garden was designed by Ken Nakajima, who also designed gardens in the USA, Canada and Russia.

Maybe for Miami a matsuri (festival) might be better than a permanent garden?

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Great shot with beautiful colors and light. I've enjoyed reading your comments and Julie's.
Thanks Mike! The HDDA*16-50 f2.8 PLM really helped here.
12-07-2022, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the City of Miami Beach holds/sponsors a festival or two at their botanic garden. Miami's was designed and built by someone in Kagoshima, as I recall they even sent craftsmen for the construction of the tea house. Of course, up the road in Delray Beach, we have the Morikami (https:morikami.org) Museum and Gardens, which is huge and magnificent, but Delray is a bit of a hike from here. Alas.