Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Chevêche des terriers / Burrowing Owl [Athene cunicularia]
Lens: Sigma 500mm ƒ/4.5 EX DG APO Camera: Pentax K-3 Mark III Photo Location: Pembroke Park, Florida, USA ISO: 12800 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: Weevil, 12-16-2022, 01:36 AM

La chouette dans la nuit...

I wanted to test the limits of my camera. Here with a 500mm lens at full aperture, stabilized with a monopod.
Photo taken from the other side of the street in the middle of the night (but some street lights in the corner) at low shutter speed and very VERY high ISO.
It gave a not too bad picture !

Chevêche des terriers / Burrowing Owl [Athene cunicularia]
More details and EXIF on Flickr
#PENTAX #pentaxk3mk3

(x-posted in the 300mm thread)
Views: 464
12-16-2022, 02:39 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
People might think this is a bit dark, but I think it gives it a real night shot feel. Great work, very atmospheric. That is a big lump of a lens, did you try any hand-held shots ?

Mike.
12-16-2022, 07:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Ringed Dropbear Quote
People might think this is a bit dark, but I think it gives it a real night shot feel. Great work, very atmospheric. That is a big lump of a lens, did you try any hand-held shots ?

Mike.
Yes, I was tempted to increase the exposure a bit in PP, but I found, when you look at it in a large disply, that it got that night spirit just like that !
I use the Sigma 500mm often handheld, or leaned against something or the ground. With the IBIS/SR it's great ! I'll add some examples soon !

Last edited by Weevil; 12-16-2022 at 08:04 AM.
12-16-2022, 03:47 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For a photographer, IBIS has to be one of the best inventions ever. I am a long time Olympus user (still getting used to the shaky OVF in my K-3!), and my best long effort so far is a shot of the moon @ 1600mm (FF equivalent, 100-400 5-6.3 lens + 2x TC), 1/125s using Hand-Held Hires Shot (AKA Pixel Shift).
That combo only weighs about 2.5kg, but it's still tricky to hand hold. Considering the Oly pixel shift composites 16 images, it is amazing it worked at all.
I often use a circular bean-bag screwed into the tripod foot to steady things in the field, when I can't/won't use a mono/tripod. Hard to find them now.

12-16-2022, 04:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
a circular bean-bag
Yes IBIS is great. I think it had improved a lot over time . I used to have a K20D with a Sigma 150-500, and the Lens stabilisation was better in-lens than the K20D IBIS. I had to turn SR off on the camera.

We could see the result "live" when the image cames very stable when viewed in the OVF. If using the IBIS SR, and no in-lens stablisation, The image in the OVF doesnt appera to stop shaking, You had to be a beleiver that it would work...

I have a bean-bag in an inverted "Y" shape, fulled with Sunflower seeds (in case I need some bait to attract birds... ).
Useful to put the big lens on the car's hood.
First time I hear bout those circular bean-bags.
Would be interested to see a photo of it (can't find much info about those on mr google search now)
12-16-2022, 04:43 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is what I am talking about: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/520280-REG/POD_TP_Y0048_S_The_Yellow_...981&

Unfortunately, I don't think they are available any more. There might be something similar on eBay, I must have a look.
12-16-2022, 05:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This is what I am talking about: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/520280-REG/POD_TP_Y0048_S_The_Yellow_...981&

Unfortunately, I don't think they are available any more. There might be something similar on eBay, I must have a look.
Ok, I see... You mount the gear head onto that one !
Noticed it was made in Canada...