Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Some K-5 IR captures
Lens: DA16-85mm Camera: K-5 (IR modified) Photo Location: Heiloo, NH 
Posted By: newmikey, 12-17-2022, 08:47 AM

Usually I shoot a KP, one of the very best Pentax bodies I ever owned but about 6 months ago I had a 2nd-hand K-5 modified to shoot IR with a 630Nm cutoff filter in front of the sensor. Sometimes, like today, I augment that with an external additional filter to narrow the bandwidth even more. In today's case, I put a 720Nm on my DA16-85 and went for a long, cold winter walk. Some of the resulting PEF files had a channel swap, others were converted to monochrome - all work done in darktable of course, thumbmails courtesy of ImageMagick scripting.

A frosty leaf on my wooden deck, gone semi-transparent to IR light:

The huge weeping willow tree by the neighborhood pond

A local historic landmark, now in use as community center, the aply named "Witte Kerk" (White Church)

Looking across the field towards the highway and the football stadium of AZ67, the Alkmaar pro club

The "Kattenberg" (or "Cat Mountain") which is by far the most intriguing landmark in our little non-descript town. Sources describe it as follows: "Little is known about the origin of the Kattenberg, but archaeologists suspect that the mound is artificial and dates from the Late Middle Ages. According to tradition, the hill was created (or raised) around 1707 during the excavation of the ponds on the Nijenburg estate, which is diagonally opposite the Kattenberg. The linden was also planted at the same time. It is a pity that no archaeological research has ever been done. If you look at the hill's name, it may be older because cats are often associated with pagan customs. Who knows, there may still be remnants of a burial mound under the Kattenberg. It is known and proven that there was a sun cult in Heiloo in pre-Christian times, where ritual acts were performed and goddesses and gods were worshipped."

Views: 280
12-18-2022, 06:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is a terrific series of images, Mike, and very informative descriptions to go along with them. The semi-transparent leaf is a very cool image.
12-18-2022, 05:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
These are wonderful images Mike and thanks for the descriptions.
12-18-2022, 07:29 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Fascinating!
Fascinating!
Fascinating!
In terms of science,
In terms of archeology and history,
In terms of religion.
Captivating!
Angky