Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
A "Golden Star" -- Backlit
Lens: HD Pentax DA 16-85mm Camera: K-70 Photo Location: Neighbor's Garden-Sac. ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: angkymac, 01-02-2023, 03:17 PM

Photographed last summer--we have no sunflowers blooming in this densely cold, northern latitude rain that is happening right now.
Re-produced In honor of KD's "Golden Star" research!

The flower was one of the darkly petaled, rich red-brown sunflowers, and was originally exposed normally, which gave a fairly good image of the center of the bloom, along with nice colors in the petals.
The second exposure was about 2 stops under-exposed.
This brought up the natural backlit brilliance of the richly dark petals along with their flaming golden tips and bases.
But this required quite a bit of PP work on the center of the flower to keep it dark while still making it visible with good detail.
I also liked the darkening of the sunflower plant's leaves and the neighbor's tree.
The end result is slightly over-brightened petal tips--a brilliant golden star, as was promised!
Angky

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Views: 379
01-02-2023, 03:32 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great capture and processing of the Sunflower. This flower seems have its own energy source, radiating light from the center outward. Exquisite image with fine detail and outstanding colors.
01-02-2023, 03:56 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Great capture and processing of the Sunflower. This flower seems have its own energy source, radiating light from the center outward. Exquisite image with fine detail and outstanding colors.
Thank you, Mike.
"...it's own energy source..." is something I never thought of.
But there it is!
Thanks!
Angky.
01-02-2023, 05:31 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is a very well executed back-lit sunflower image Angky. I have often looked for opportunities to use backlighting on flowers. I think it brings out very interesting details and colors that just don't look the same with front lighting. Very nice work!

01-02-2023, 10:15 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
This is a very well executed back-lit sunflower image Angky. I have often looked for opportunities to use backlighting on flowers. I think it brings out very interesting details and colors that just don't look the same with front lighting. Very nice work!
Thank you, Todd!
Back-lit has, since I was first shown it back in '69, been my favorite method on blooms and leaves, if it can be pulled off.
Which means that I have to confess to under-using other lighting techniques--to the point that my images can get to be boring same-ol', same-ol'...
Appreciate your comment!
Angky.
01-02-2023, 11:51 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with everyone's comments with a +10. A very well constructed Floral Image. Youdaman!! ))

Tonytee.