Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Ruined landscapes
Posted By: JMR, 12-28-2008, 10:22 PM

In years gone by I used to shoot everything in slide format. Then I stored away all my slides thinking they were safe. Here are two examples of slides that have been ruined by age and poor storage.

The first is a slide of a haunting landscape scene of old barns and receding snow against a dark earthy landscape. The scene was moody and bluish, one of my favorites. It was shot, if anyone can remember, with a little known Polaroid instant slide film. ISO 6-12 and developed in 5 minutes. It was grainy and beautiful for certain types of photography. Look what age and color shifting has done to it.

edit- added photo, took out PEI. Take a look at second polaroid. I could cry. See all the bands in cropped out section, especially in the sky. Despite the colour shifting, I think I could save it as old world look photo. That's my last lament for my old slides, promise!

JMR

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 01-22-2009 at 04:02 AM. Reason: to add photo
Views: 2,423
12-28-2008, 10:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
JMR... I have always enjoyed your work but these two just look a little off! cheers JIMBO
12-28-2008, 10:51 PM   #3
Igilligan

What a shame

Those both look to have been amazing slides...
12-29-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Absolute shame...

and sadly proof positive that all art is fleeting. Even achival storage will only go so far and most film based images will be gone in a matter of centuries (and much much sooner in most cases). The only defense is the best quality scans you can manage and lots of duplicates kept on succeeding generations of storage media.

(This goes for digital too of course without the intervening scanning requirement.)

12-29-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The first shot is beautiful! Muted colour can evoke emotions and I love it. Wow, great image!
12-29-2008, 04:54 PM   #6
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Those both look to have been amazing slides...
I don't want to sound to immodest, but I did love that farm scene and won an award with it at the camera clubs as one of the best Canadian landscapes. It had pink magenta sky and a bluish haunting tone. It very large grain structure because of its ISO Polaroid characteristics. Not very stable chemistry but beautiful grain.

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Absolute shame...

and sadly proof positive that all art is fleeting. Even achival storage will only go so far and most film based images will be gone in a matter of centuries (and much much sooner in most cases). The only defense is the best quality scans you can manage and lots of duplicates kept on succeeding generations of storage media.

(This goes for digital too of course without the intervening scanning requirement.)
I am in the process of trying to scan as many as I can @ 2710 DPI.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
The first shot is beautiful! Muted colour can evoke emotions and I love it. Wow, great image!
Yes, it had muted soft color tones as above, pink-magenta and blue.

Ah....

JMR
12-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have noticed similar effects in my old slides too

... and I have started to scan them. Thank you for sharing! It is easy to see that these have been great pictures.

01-20-2009, 07:33 AM   #8
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Last lament for the old polaroid slides. Added photo and crop so yuou can se banding. I am going to try and save them as world-looking photos, sort of like sepia tones...sniff...sniff... No more tears because I am out of kleenex and have this wonderful forum to look forward to.

JMR
01-20-2009, 07:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

What is the cause of those bands?
It seems they have very regular characteristics (almost like scanner artifacts...). That makes me think, they could be restored by digital processing, if available at high enought resolution (outresolves the bands) and bit depth (16 per channel or greater).
01-20-2009, 08:58 AM   #10
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They scanned that way. When blown up, they don't look anything like regular pixels or the regular slides. I think it is just a characteristic of the old polaroid film. The colours clings in clusters and show up as bands of clusters. I don't think it worth fixing, but if you know of easy way, I am all ears.

JMR
01-20-2009, 09:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Last one looks like enlarged crop. If it is not 100% crop, i'd like to see one.
If it is, there is not enaught resolution, because the bands are not clearly distinguishable, to see their cause. It looks like there is still some subpixel information messing around with scanner. You should at least be able to scan it with a fine enought detail to see the cause of this artifacts. Looks like some color filter strips.
I had a similar effect, while scanning glossy pictures.. but i had an option in scanner's settings to reduce this effect (Moire filter).
Still im not able to say if this is related.
If looking in here:
http://www.photographical.net/silverfast_me.html
Multi sampling and multi exposure seems to be quite good at reducing similar effect, but they are more random noise oriented.
01-20-2009, 09:31 AM   #12
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Last one looks like enlarged crop. If it is not 100% crop, i'd like to see one.
If it is, there is not enaught resolution, because the bands are not clearly distinguishable, to see their cause. It looks like there is still some subpixel information messing around with scanner. You should at least be able to scan it with a fine enought detail to see the cause of this artifacts. Looks like some color filter strips.
I had a similar effect, while scanning glossy pictures.. but i had an option in scanner's settings to reduce this effect (Moire filter).
Still im not able to say if this is related.
If looking in here:
PHOTOgraphical.NET - SilverFast Multi Exposure
Multi sampling and multi exposure seems to be quite good at reducing similar effect, but they are more random noise oriented.
Very interesting. In fact, the film acetate is glossy, so I will look at the site to see if anything can be done. I think you be right, it may be the equivalent at looking at the scan of photo and seeing the actual dimples of the paper stock. But I have no option to multipass or use a Moire filter. I reposted new crop so you see how bad the problem is.

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 01-20-2009 at 09:37 AM.
01-20-2009, 10:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Those look like great shots in there day - hey kinda like me (I am getting a little grainy as well )
01-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #14
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Those look like great shots in there day - hey kinda like me (I am getting a little grainy as well )
I had to laugh at that one. Old perhaps, but grainy, come on...only if you fell on the salt on the sidewalk. Ha ha.

JMR

PS- still looking for that film.
01-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I gave a dirty try to something like pseudo multi sampling in gimp.
Here is what i got "double sampled" and resized, to what might be achievable (showing that banding dosn't amplifies with resized) when having high resolution scan.
To do this i decomposed image to channels in gimp. As a result i got 3 images looking scanline like. then in each channel made a copy and shifted it vertically, so that the lines that contain image fill "empty"/darker rows.
You might get much more better results using multiple scans. Also i aligned by hand/eye. Did not filtered each channel. Picked RGB channels, althogh the bands might be in different color components (like CYMK).
Attached Images