Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Some Yosemite Granite in Stormclouds...
Posted By: heliphoto, 12-28-2008, 11:52 PM

Still more from last week (and I haven't exhausted the supply yet). Taken from this point looking east with the Tamron 70-200/2.8.

Here's a part of Yosemite few see, the Tuolumne River canyon downstream of Hetch Hetchy. Shot with the DA* 16-50 and cropped in a bit.

Views: 2,510
01-03-2009, 06:45 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Strong vote for number 2 from me as well. Great job.

Jer

01-03-2009, 06:57 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Great shots and scary story !! I really like the B&W #2 shot easily could be on a wall in an office or a home. Great job
01-03-2009, 10:05 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
That first shot is just amazing. I have seen a few shots of the same place and this one is really great!
Thanks James. It doesn't surprise me that you've seen that view before, it's the first view of Yosemite Valley that a visitor arriving by Highway 120 sees... and there's a parking lot right there, so many hundreds of thousands of shots are taken from that viewpoint a year (I would guess). I'm happy if I can make one stand out a bit (just by being there in the right weather really).

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I drove into Yosemite Valley a few years ago from the north on highway 120 during an early Spring snow storm and got some nice pictures similar to Heliphoto's great work. By the time we started to head back, they had closed all but the west entrance through El Portal to Mariposa. Even with 4-wheel drive, getting back to the Sonora area was a white-knuckle experience. Once out of the snowy Merced Canyon, we faced hours of driving rain and deep darkness on the winding, cliff-bound road (highway 42) from Mariposa to Coulterville. I will never forget that trip <shudder>.

Steve
A harrowing tale Steve. That stretch of hwy. 49 (not 42 - sorry I'm a pedant) is some gnarly driving in the bright sun, wicked corners and it just goes on and on and... I live in Sonora, and used to make that drive often to kayak the Merced river (not in snow storms though).

QuoteOriginally posted by weatherwise2 Quote
that B&W is stunning. Great series. Hopefully someday can visit there.
Thanks wx.wise... Try to get there on a storm day .

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Strong vote for number 2 from me as well. Great job.

Jer
Thank you Jer.

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Great shots and scary story !! I really like the B&W #2 shot easily could be on a wall in an office or a home. Great job
Thanks, hopefully someday when I'm a successful landscape pro, it will hang in some millionaire's office (when there's millionaires again), but for now it hangs only in the post-your-photos forum . I really told that story better than reality - it woulda scared the pants of any passengers (hopefully hot pass- oh no here comes the wifey...), but I never really questioned the outcome - it was just a bit startling really.