Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Some Yosemite Granite in Stormclouds...
Posted By: heliphoto, 12-28-2008, 11:52 PM

Still more from last week (and I haven't exhausted the supply yet). Taken from this point looking east with the Tamron 70-200/2.8.

Here's a part of Yosemite few see, the Tuolumne River canyon downstream of Hetch Hetchy. Shot with the DA* 16-50 and cropped in a bit.

Views: 2,518
12-29-2008, 12:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Man, that shot of the canyon thru cloud and snow is spectacular. You have got quite enough of a collection for an excellent coffee table book there mate.
12-29-2008, 02:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Both great shots, Josh. #2 is my fav, though...like the B&W, light & cloud. Well done. Look forward to the next series
12-29-2008, 02:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great details on the second photo. Bw also fits perfectly for it.
Would love to see that as a big print.

12-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dale Quote
Man, that shot of the canyon thru cloud and snow is spectacular. You have got quite enough of a collection for an excellent coffee table book there mate.
Thanks Dale. If only my house were big enough for a coffee table .

QuoteOriginally posted by dazman Quote
Both great shots, Josh. #2 is my fav, though...like the B&W, light & cloud. Well done. Look forward to the next series
Thanks Daz.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nitrok Quote
Great details on the second photo. Bw also fits perfectly for it.
Would love to see that as a big print.
Thanks Joni... It would look good as a big print. There's a lot of detail in that shot.
12-29-2008, 10:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Another winner Josh... JIMBO
12-29-2008, 10:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

No2 ranks up there with the best Ive seen for a while (Bit of A.Ansel here I feel)

cheers

12-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Another winner Josh... JIMBO
Thanks Jimbo.

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
No2 ranks up there with the best Ive seen for a while (Bit of A.Ansel here I feel)

cheers
Thanks cupic... You sure know how to put a smile on my face .
12-30-2008, 12:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Love those shots! Wish I could get there in the winter but I lack the bravery.......
12-30-2008, 12:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Redwood10D Quote
Love those shots! Wish I could get there in the winter but I lack the bravery.......
Thanks... The four studded snow tires on my 4x4 help with the bravery aspect - They make me feel invincible! Seriously though, getting into Yosemite valley via hwy. 140 isn't that bad a route even in winter. On the day I took these (and all the other snow shots I've been posting lately), I bet you could have gotten to Yosemite valley by that route without much snow on the road. I went into the park on hwy. 120 and there was quite a bit of snow on the road up high, but it was well plowed, and many folks were cruisin' around in their sedans with chains on the tires - no problem. I did drive a few places the plows hadn't been yet (outside the park) in about 8 inches of snow - FUN!

I encourage you to make the trip... Yosemite's great in winter.
01-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll second Cupic's opinion - great images Josh! #2 is very intriguing...

Regards,
Marc
01-02-2009, 10:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
I'll second Cupic's opinion - great images Josh! #2 is very intriguing...

Regards,
Marc

That photo has one of the most interesting stories of the day behind it too... I was driving this back road (which shall remain nameless), which really hugs the canyon wall (the photo is shot from the road) when I saw this great view... I saw a pullout just ahead, and decided to pull in... What I hadn't counted on was that the snow thrown by the plow had piled up deceptively deep on the pullout, which was on the edge of the cliff, so when my left tires went into the unplowed snow, there was much more drag than I anticipated which pulled the truck left and I briefly contemplated whether trees which would hold a truck from making the plunge or not, but luckily I used to drive in the snow all the time, so with a crank of the wheel and a judicious application of throttle (put the hammer down), I cranked a turn through the deep snow and back onto the one lane road... and I had left tracks in the pullout that I could back into and park - got this picture there too .
01-03-2009, 01:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

That first shot is just amazing. I have seen a few shots of the same place and this one is really great!
01-03-2009, 01:28 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Redwood10D Quote
I drove into Yosemite Valley a few years ago from the north on highway 120 during an early Spring snow storm and got some nice pictures similar to Heliphoto's great work. By the time we started to head back, they had closed all but the west entrance through El Portal to Mariposa. Even with 4-wheel drive, getting back to the Sonora area was a white-knuckle experience. Once out of the snowy Merced Canyon, we faced hours of driving rain and deep darkness on the winding, cliff-bound road (highway 42) from Mariposa to Coulterville. I will never forget that trip <shudder>.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-03-2009 at 01:34 AM.
01-03-2009, 06:27 AM   #15
Pentaxian

that B&W is stunning. Great series. Hopefully someday can visit there.