Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
8 Likes  #1
Fractal Window Ice pt.2
Lens: DFA 100 macro 2.8 WR Camera: K-1 Photo Location: My house ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/80s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: normhead, 02-04-2023, 12:07 PM

The temp went down to -40 and it was still -30ºC when I took the images. Usually these structures are lost in the afternoon. It was so cold we kept everything from yesterday and filled in quite bit more interesting detail.

Pixel shift and topaz Sharpen AI.

Favourite of the day.

Last edited by normhead; 02-09-2023 at 02:54 PM.
Views: 546
02-04-2023, 12:12 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
This fantastic image needs to be converted into a jigsaw puzzle.
02-04-2023, 12:20 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alphaphoenix Quote
This fantastic image needs to be converted into a jigsaw puzzle.
There's an app for that.
02-04-2023, 01:19 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice !

Regards

02-04-2023, 01:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful image that brings back memories of my boyhood .
02-04-2023, 03:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Very nice !

Regards
QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
Beautiful image that brings back memories of my boyhood .
For some reason these always always remind me of the wall appear we uncovered under our 100 year old log cabin, walls. The first surprise when we bought the place, we wondered why the wall were all grey. Turned out it was wood smoke. Then we pealed off 7 layers of wall paper. I guess wall paper was part of the insulation back I the day.
02-04-2023, 03:32 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Uncle William's house in Providence, R.I. was insulated with newspaper dating back to 1929. My father helped him tear this out and they put pink styrofoam in its place. The insulation paid for itself in less than two years with fuel savings during the winter.

Regards

02-04-2023, 03:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
My Uncle William's house in Providence, R.I. was insulated with newspaper dating back to 1929. My father helped him tear this out and they put pink styrofoam in its place. The insulation paid for itself in less than two years with fuel savings during the winter.

Regards
Mine was stucko outside, 12 inches of log, then lathe and plaster inside. The fireplace was 40 inches high and 4 feet across, you could lay 3 feet pieces of fire wood stacked against the back and warm the place from -30 to room temperature in 2 hours. We eventually put in a wood stove with a surround to block the cold air from coming down the chimney in the winter.

Last edited by normhead; 02-04-2023 at 05:26 PM.
02-04-2023, 10:41 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another fabulous ice abstract. Amazing what the cold and moisture can create. Great shot.
02-04-2023, 10:48 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
We eventually put in a wood stove with a surround to block the cold air from coming down the chimney in the winter.
For some reason we don't get these patterns on the windows in my house, maybe because they are triple pane and when they do get frost on them, it is built up around the edges close to the wooden frames.

When I was growing up on the farm in west-central Alberta, the shop had a 45 gallon steel drum converted into a wood heater in the middle and an uninsulated stovepipe through the ceiling. No insulation anywhere in the shop. On the coldest days, we would have to get the drum almost red-hot to keep the shop warm enough to work in.

Years later when my wife and I bought our first house in Saskatoon, there was a detached garage at the back of the lot that previous owners hadn't bothered to sheet the walls or the ceiling, but there was a manufactured wood heater in the back corner. I would pick up discarded wood pallets and cut them up to make firewood and if I fed the heater every 15 minutes or so, the garage would be warm enough to work in, but it was hard to get anything done because I kept having to add wood to the heater.so often. Before we moved I nailed drywall to the ceiling and walls (no insulation and no mudding and taping) which made it much easier to accomplish things in my garage during the winter.

Thanks for sharing the picture and the story.
02-05-2023, 06:25 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
When I was growing up on the farm in west-central Alberta, the shop had a 45 gallon steel drum converted into a wood heater in the middle and an uninsulated stovepipe through the ceiling. No insulation anywhere in the shop. On the coldest days, we would have to get the drum almost red-hot to keep the shop warm enough to work in.
The auction hall 1/2 mile from my place had one of those. Auction every Tuesday nights with possibly a coffee and donut concession. During the coldest months we'd take turns walking by the red hot drum.

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Another fabulous ice abstract. Amazing what the cold and moisture can create. Great shot.
The weather broke last night, it got warmer all night and is currently -9. I pulled back the insulated drapes to have a look.The formations have water drops running through them. They'll be gone by noon. We usually don't get weather this cold more than once or twice a year.

Last edited by normhead; 02-06-2023 at 08:37 AM.