Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Ice cover forming over the Saint Lawrence.
Lens: DFA* 70-200 mm f/2.8 ED Camera: Pentax K1 Photo Location: Quebec, CANADA ISO: 100 Aperture: F11 
Posted By: RICHARD L., 02-06-2023, 04:29 AM

Winter scene along the Saint Lawrence. K1 + DFA* 70-200 mm f/2.8 HD @ f/11 and 70 mm FL, handheld. One weekend of minus 30 degree temperature creates this solid ice cover over the river.

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 02-07-2023 at 06:00 PM.
Views: 429
02-06-2023, 06:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the whole River ever freeze? I remember the Detroit River didn't.
02-06-2023, 07:52 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Does the whole River ever freeze? I remember the Detroit River didn't.
It completely freezes over, except for the St Lawrence Seaway that is kept open by icebreakers to permit ship circulation towards the Great Lakes. Some very cold years, ship circulation may be interrupted in January and February but this has not happened recently.

Regards

P.S. The Detroit River caught fire near the Ford Foundry and Stamping Plant once, so ...

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 02-08-2023 at 09:31 AM.
02-06-2023, 01:23 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting color tone to the icy photo. Way colder than I can stand. An amazing sight to see.

02-07-2023, 05:31 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
An aperture of f/11 is past the optimum for this DFA* 70-200 mm f/2.8 zoom. A small opening was necessary to obtain adequate near and far rendering. The overall color cast seems strange but winter light often creates these color contrasts. As for the cold, I often stay inside my Mazda 5 wagon to visualize the final picture and just quickly get out of the car for a few seconds to finalize the image. When necessary, I even lean on the car and use it to stabilize this super-heavy tele-zoom.

Regards
02-07-2023, 08:21 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Interesting reality you show here.
And, by the way, who really cares about optimum aperture for detail when you need to see the near and the far at the same time?
Stop it right on down!
Makes for a shot of interest for sure.
Angky.
02-08-2023, 06:00 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Interesting reality you show here. And, by the way, who really cares about optimum aperture for detail when you need to see the near and the far at the same time? Stop it right on down! Makes for a shot of interest for sure. Angky.
Ha Ha ! I really like your attitude ! Like my father said : "A man has to do what a man has to do".

Best Regards