Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
"Molly" The Calico
Posted By: shutterpuppy, 12-29-2008, 07:03 PM

Testing my fairly new 50mm F1.4 in combination with my K200d, Was quite impressed with the auto-focus but I almost thought it's noisiness of it would have scared Molly from getting this great pose of her...she's very skittish. Should I have used a larger f-stop in order to get her feet in focus?

Barry
Views: 1,860
12-29-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not bad, a pretty cat. Yes, stopping down (try f/8?) would have helped keep more of kitty in focus. Maybe raise ISO a bit (400?) to compensate. I assume that was taken with the built-in flash? If so you are somewhat fortunate--my cats have a tendency to blink with P-TTL flash. Workaround is to use hotshoe bounce flash, particularly manual or auto-flash rather than P-TTL.
12-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
Not bad, a pretty cat. Yes, stopping down (try f/8?) would have helped keep more of kitty in focus. Maybe raise ISO a bit (400?) to compensate. I assume that was taken with the built-in flash? If so you are somewhat fortunate--my cats have a tendency to blink with P-TTL flash. Workaround is to use hotshoe bounce flash, particularly manual or auto-flash rather than P-TTL.
Andrew,
Yep, it was taken with the pop-up flash, I was going for more detail in Molly's face to give it more of a 3D effect, I guess I went overboard I'm home in Dallas after spending 12 days in Miami Beach, most of my outdoor shots were taken with my P & S Panny but indoor shots were mostly shot with the k200d, The people shots were hit and miss, it seems like the auto focus had a mind of it's own and made me think about never using it again. I will edit this post later to show you the results I got. They looked great on the LCD but when I got home and saw them full screen, I wasn't too happy with em except for the first shot of the three women. Thank god the non-auto-focus pics of the blurred ones seen here, turned out of OK, so not all was lost.

Barry

Last edited by shutterpuppy; 12-30-2008 at 11:04 AM.
12-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
The people shots were hit and miss, it seems like the auto focus had a mind of it's own and made me think about never using it again.
F2.4 doesn't give you a lot of DOF to work with, especially for shots like that. The camera probably did the best it could with the instructions you were giving it.

12-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
F2.4 doesn't give you a lot of DOF to work with, especially for shots like that. The camera probably did the best it could with the instructions you were giving it.
I had forgotten the camera was set on "portrait" in one of those scene modes, still learning a lot about the camera, did the camera pick the aperture in this mode or could have I adjusted it myself in this "mode" ? I was trying for the most detail and why most shots were done at ISO 100

Barry
12-30-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
I had forgotten the camera was set on "portrait" in one of those scene modes, still learning a lot about the camera, did the camera pick the aperture in this mode or could have I adjusted it myself in this "mode" ? I was trying for the most detail and why most shots were done at ISO 100

Barry
Sorry, I don't know what control you have in the scene modes, I don't have a K200.