Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Birds: Dark Eyed Junko
Posted By: wa5am, 12-30-2008, 10:07 AM

These little cousins to the common Sparrow come around a lot in the winter here. I remember when I was a kid, one of my teachers in school called them "Snow Birds".

They are not very timid around people, and fight each other like Hummingbirds when they are feeding.

I have 30 acres of timber and woods up here, and hope to get more wildlife shots with my new Sigma "Bigma" this winter and next spring.

Both shot @ ISO 200 with lens at 420mm. Cropped about 33% and resized for web display. Not great, but I think I'm getting better with the big lens.

Morg
Views: 1,810
12-30-2008, 01:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like these, they have such a nearness in them, bringing the viewer close to the birds maybe because of the nice low angle you have used. Thanks for sharing!
12-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are very nice shots Morgan. The first being the best. That big lens takes a bit to get used to but can produce some good results.
12-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Agreed with Peter - #1 is quite nice!

It takes practice and technique to really get the best results. I'd like to try a Bigma at some point, just to see if I could really make it sing...

Cheers,
Marc

12-30-2008, 02:16 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
I like these, they have such a nearness in them, bringing the viewer close to the birds maybe because of the nice low angle you have used. Thanks for sharing!
I have the tripod low and shooting uphill which makes a nice perspective, sort of getting eye level with them. Thanks for the kind comments Gawan!

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
They are very nice shots Morgan. The first being the best. That big lens takes a bit to get used to but can produce some good results.
Thanks for the nice comments Peter. I agree on #1 too. #2 was a bit soft. I think she was just outside of the DOF, which was just a sliver with that lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Agreed with Peter - #1 is quite nice!

It takes practice and technique to really get the best results. I'd like to try a Bigma at some point, just to see if I could really make it sing...

Cheers,
Marc
Hello again Marc, and thanks for the nice comments. I bet you could give the bigma a good run for the money if anyone could. It seems to have very nice snappy contrast and color, really a lot more than I expected from a zoom, and one of that range. Wish it was a little faster, but so far, with good sunlight, it's done well for what I've used it for.

Morgan