Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Hawk Photo
Lens: SMC-f 300mm Camera: K70 ISO: 3200 
Posted By: 87Duckfan, 03-10-2023, 03:34 PM

Had a visitor to my backyard yesterday, late afternoon. Rushed to grab the camera. Had to shoot thru some tree branches.

Can anyone identity this hawk?

Which photo do you like the best?

SOOC, probably need to do some de-noising.

TIA!!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Views: 254
03-10-2023, 04:08 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 87Duckfan Quote
Had a visitor to my backyard yesterday, late afternoon. Rushed to grab the camera. Had to shoot thru some tree branches.

Can anyone identity this hawk?

Which photo do you like the best?

SOOC, probably need to do some de-noising.

TIA!!
Nice grab.Though it is difficult to ID without more information like relative size, or in this case seeing more of the chest, I'd guess it is a redtail. There is a hint or red on the side of the tail that can be seen, and the streaks on the chest that can be seen are typical of redtailed hawks. When viewing them head on, or in flight from below, Redtails have a 'belly band' of darker feathers. This streaking making the band can be minimal to rather heavy. Redtails are also one of the larger hawks, significantly larger than say a coopers hawk. Hope this helps.I also included a Redtail photo I took which happens to have a pretty strong belly band. You can see a bit of this on your hawk. The one below happens to be a first year bird with barrred tail feathers. Redtails do not get their red tail feathers until their first molt, at about one year of age.
Of course this is all assuming you took it where Redtails exist.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
03-10-2023, 04:10 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bspn Quote
Nice grab.Though it is difficult to ID without more information like relative size, or in this case seeing more of the chest, I'd guess it is a redtail. There is a hint or red on the side of the tail that can be seen, and the streaks on the chest that can be seen are typical of redtailed hawks. When viewing them head on, or in flight from below, Redtails have a 'belly band' of darker feathers. This streaking making the band can be minimal to rather heavy. Redtails are also one of the larger hawks, significantly larger than say a coopers hawk. Hope this helps.I also included a Redtail photo I took which happens to have a pretty strong belly band. You can see a bit of this on your hawk. The one below happens to be a first year bird with barrred tail feathers. Redtails do not get their red tail feathers until their first molt, at about one year of age.
Of course this is all assuming you took it where Redtails exist.
Awesome, thank you for the info. My hawk seemed rather large, I would guess about 16-20" tall?
03-10-2023, 04:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
it's a male red tail hawk

03-10-2023, 06:51 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looked like a difficult shot through limbs. I like the first and second photos a bit more. They seem to be a tad better focused.