Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Volcanic remnants, El Malpais National Monument, NEW MEXICO
Lens: DFA 28-105 mm HD Camera: Pentax K1 Photo Location: New Mexico ISO: 125 Aperture: F11 
Posted By: RICHARD L., 03-15-2023, 08:44 AM

Near Grants, New Mexico, you encounter volcanic soil South of Interstate-40. There is a vast area covered with lava fields. The early Spaniard explorers concluded this region was improper for cultivation and ranching, thus the name "El Malpais" (Good for Nothing Country). Pentax K1 + DFA 28-105 mm HD @ f/11.

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 03-16-2023 at 04:55 AM.
Views: 447
03-15-2023, 08:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good shot Richard. That volcanic rock is very rough and can really skin you up if you fall on it, but it makes for a very interesting landscape.
03-15-2023, 04:38 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I take it that the Spaniards weren't looking for scenery. It's an interesting, rugged terrain. Good light and colors.

Last edited by MikeNArk; 03-16-2023 at 07:31 AM.
03-16-2023, 04:38 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
THX !

The Spanish language being able to produce such a vivid word as "MALPAIS" is a magnificent feat. The Monument is quite large, extending about 40 miles south of the Interstate. Worth a full week of exploration !

Regards

03-16-2023, 02:20 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Severe looking place that you show here!
Angky
03-17-2023, 09:59 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
THX !

I was hoping to take the time to explore the Malpais Monument in 2020 but COVID defeated my plans. Maybe some day ...

Regards
03-17-2023, 10:05 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's really interesting geology, Richard, the black lava atop the underlying whatever (limestone, sandstone?) Fascinating! TFS!

And yes, Spanish can give us amazing words..."malpais" means, literally, "bad country".

03-18-2023, 05:44 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
THX !

Oftentimes, unproductive lands create "National Parks". Take for example the Grand Canyon, the Painted Desert, Death Valley, Zion and Bryce Canyons, etc. The same for "State Parks", like Anza-Borrego or Mount San Jacinto in California. Even Meteor Crater east of Flagstaff draws crowds and brings revenues to private parties.There are no or rare National Parks in Nebraska or Indiana. Missouri has very nice State Parks though.

Regards
03-18-2023, 07:40 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome! credit where it's due, always!

And you're right...think also of Everglades National Park!
03-18-2023, 08:15 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ha Ha !

When I visited the Everglades in the last century, I was concentrating on observing White Egrets in a marsh. Suddenly a hidden alligator lunged at me. I must have appeared as a tasty meal to this remnant of a dinosaur. The same thing happened to me when I visited Cuba in 1983. I have always hated saurians since.

Regards
03-18-2023, 12:16 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Ha Ha !

When I visited the Everglades in the last century, I was concentrating on observing White Egrets in a marsh. Suddenly a hidden alligator lunged at me. I must have appeared as a tasty meal to this remnant of a dinosaur. The same thing happened to me when I visited Cuba in 1983. I have always hated saurians since.

Regards
Understandable, they are very dangerous critters. People have no idea! Some years ago we drove down to Flamingo, in the park, and observed more than a few 'gators lounging canal-side, in the sun, beside the road into the parking lot. Also a tourist family trying to pose the kids beside one of these big boys. Yikes! We were closer to the ranger station than we were to these hapless visitors so we immediately alerted a ranger and he hustled over to get them out of harm's way. Could have been tragically ugly otherwise, those silly kids were perfectly 'gator-sized morsels.

Near water, I always have one eye peeled for alligators.