Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Sun Shines On An Old Sulfur Mine
Lens: DA 20-40mm Ltd Camera: K-70 Photo Location: Northwestern California ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F16 
Posted By: angkymac, 03-31-2023, 07:06 PM

Low sun was hit and miss under dense but spotty clouds.
It just happened to hit a pond remaining from an old sulfur dig while it missed a small town on the far side of the lake.
The colors in the two bodies of water are very different in this image--exactly reproduced as it is in reality. I assume the greenish water color has to do with sulfur mining in past centuries.
Angky.

[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2oqpDtB]_IMG8728_SunlitSpot-SulfurMine_Clearlake_20230328[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/194322828@N02/]Angky MacLeod[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank">
Views: 249
03-31-2023, 10:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that you are probably right about the color of the water. Those clouds give this place an ominous look despite the spot of sunshine. Nicely captured scene.
03-31-2023, 11:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like the heavy drama in this shot
04-01-2023, 08:48 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
I think that you are probably right about the color of the water. Those clouds give this place an ominous look despite the spot of sunshine. Nicely captured scene.
Thanks, Mike!
Just happened to have the sun spotting there for a moment and the clouds did their job.
Angky.

---------- Post added 04-01-23 at 08:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
I like the heavy drama in this shot
I'm glad you like it!
That's the way it appeared, and it caught my eye too!
Angky.

04-01-2023, 09:01 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I agree with the others that the clouds add a lot of drama. I assume the sulphur mine pond is considered a hazardous waste site? Old mining operations can leave communities with extremely toxic land and water bodies to deal with. Growing up in Montana, the Berkley Pit in Butte, MT comes to mind. It is most likely the most toxic body of water in the country.
04-01-2023, 10:43 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great capture, very dramatic. The green cast could be from a variety of things, but generally if it's suspended sulfur in native form, it gives water a whitish, bright milky appearance. I am a geologist currently in the remediation field, and live quite close to the Berkeley Pit
04-02-2023, 02:13 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very nice landscape capture. Well done and many thnx for sharing.

Tony

04-02-2023, 08:11 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
I agree with the others that the clouds add a lot of drama. I assume the sulphur mine pond is considered a hazardous waste site? Old mining operations can leave communities with extremely toxic land and water bodies to deal with. Growing up in Montana, the Berkley Pit in Butte, MT comes to mind. It is most likely the most toxic body of water in the country.
There are some significant socio-political issues about this place. I've heard rumors and innuendoes and accusations but don't really know the true story.
Has to do with marginalized peoples and special interests.
All I really know is that the view of the place is always "surprising".
In this case, it made for an interesting picture.
I hope the toxicity issue can be resolved in a mutually beneficial way for all of society--though, as I said, I don't know what it really is--except that it looks....!
Thanks for your input.
Angky.

---------- Post added 04-02-23 at 08:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
A very nice landscape capture. Well done and many thnx for sharing.

Tony
Thank you for appreciating it!
Angky

---------- Post added 04-02-23 at 08:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RocksandRocks Quote
Great capture, very dramatic. The green cast could be from a variety of things, but generally if it's suspended sulfur in native form, it gives water a whitish, bright milky appearance. I am a geologist currently in the remediation field, and live quite close to the Berkeley Pit
Thanks much for your input!!!
Greatly appreciated.
I had wondered what exactly that specific coloration came from; your explanation fits!
I suspect that any remediation of this area probably awaits some remediation in the political area.
Angky.