Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Post-Small-Tornado
Lens: Tamron af 90mm f/2.8 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Manchester, Iowa 
Posted By: mroeder75, 04-01-2023, 09:15 PM

We had a small tornado about a mile from our home. Power went out. On our cell phone the National Weather Service tornado warning popped up. I opened the back door. I heard the sky grumbling/rumbling. My wife goes to the basement every tornado warning. I usually do not. I evacuated to the basement last night because I heard grumbling noise, and the cell phone warning was so specific to our area. Five minutes after the cell phone warning the civil defense sirens sounded.

Power was out 6-hours. It came back on 2-minutes after our Iowa Hawkeyes defeated #1 South Carolina. I listened to the game on a battery powered radio, just as if I were trapped in the 1960s.

Photo #1 is a park shelter that collapsed

Baum Park tree:

Residential area damage:

Tree damage:

Garage ripped open:

Tree uprooted:

Garage down:

Outbuilding down:

Garage down; tree uprooted:

Last edited by mroeder75; 04-01-2023 at 09:45 PM.
Views: 287
04-01-2023, 09:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
OMG!!
04-02-2023, 07:04 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wow!
Seems like you would have had more excitement watching the "games" going on outdoors than listening to the "synthetic games" ( ) on the radio.
Stuff really happened around you.
Pictures speak pretty loudly.
Angky.
04-02-2023, 07:06 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice documentation of the damages. As you probably know a tornado hit Little Rock , AR on Friday and caused major damage. Fortunately, we live about 30 miles north of there. Good shots. Those storms are scary.

04-02-2023, 07:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Wow!
Seems like you would have had more excitement watching the "games" going on outdoors than listening to the "synthetic games" ( ) on the radio.
Stuff really happened around you.
Pictures speak pretty loudly.
Angky.
I have been reflecting on the damage I saw. I suspect this may have been a very weird instance of straight-line winds. There were numerous tornados in Iowa on 3/31/23. A tornado warning displayed on our cell phones just before this hit which made me think this was a tornado. The tornados in Iowa that were on the ground were all said to be moving 50-60 mph from SW to NE. The damage here was in approximately 3-4 mile path. There was a confirmed tornado 15-miles NE of town along this same path. However, the downed trees in the one-mile path in town that law enforcement had not blocked off our view all fell in the same direction which is more of what happens in a straight-line wind event.
04-05-2023, 09:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) determined that the weather event in Manchester Iowa on 3/31/2023 (damage pictured above) was from an EF1 tornado notwithstanding my later processing of personal observations that it was straight line winds. I based my more recent opinion on several trees falling the same direction. I believe NOAA probably had weather radar indications of a tornado, which also produced a warning on my cell phone five full minutes before civil defense sirens sounded. Good thing it wasn't EF5, or the lack of timely audio warning would have resulted in deaths.
16 Iowa tornadoes hit Friday. Here are the ratings, injuries and path
04-06-2023, 06:57 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) determined that the weather event in Manchester Iowa on 3/31/2023 (damage pictured above) was from an EF1 tornado notwithstanding my later processing of personal observations that it was straight line winds. I based my more recent opinion on several trees falling the same direction. I believe NOAA probably had weather radar indications of a tornado, which also produced a warning on my cell phone five full minutes before civil defense sirens sounded. Good thing it wasn't EF5, or the lack of timely audio warning would have resulted in deaths.
16 Iowa tornadoes hit Friday. Here are the ratings, injuries and path
Thanks for posting the summary. It's amazing how many of these storms spin up when the conditions are right.
Mike