Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Just a Little Elbow Grease . . . . .
Lens: FA 43 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Kemah, TX ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: Sailor, 04-03-2023, 10:39 AM

. . . . . . . and she'll look brand new.

Jer

Views: 384
04-03-2023, 02:30 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hey! Huntington Beach, eh?
I'm sure I saw that rat of Hwy 1.
Looks like that car was mostly in the northern midwest in the winter where salt rusts cars.
But, yes, elbows will need to be greased quite a bit on this one.
Might be fun though.
Angky
04-03-2023, 03:33 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
. . . . . . . and she'll look brand new.

Jer

a 70/80's Porsche 900 ready for a serious restoration, on the contrary the Jeep Wrangler beside looks brand new.
interesting photo Jer.
Loris
04-03-2023, 04:24 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Hey! Huntington Beach, eh?
I'm sure I saw that rat of Hwy 1.
Looks like that car was mostly in the northern midwest in the winter where salt rusts cars.
But, yes, elbows will need to be greased quite a bit on this one.
Might be fun though.
Angky
Elbows greased and wallets emptied!! I'd sure love to drive my Carrera along Highway 1 - at least along my vision of Highway 1.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by loris nerozzi Quote
a 70/80's Porsche 900 ready for a serious restoration, on the contrary the Jeep Wrangler beside looks brand new.
interesting photo Jer.
Loris
Thanks Loris. An irony is that It would take more money to restore the Porsche than the Wrangler costs!!

Jer

04-03-2023, 05:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lot more than a little I'd say
04-03-2023, 09:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I've never seen a Rat Rod Porsche before.
04-04-2023, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
A lot more than a little I'd say
You got that right, my friend. My title reflected an irrational burst of optimism!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I've never seen a Rat Rod Porsche before.
I haven't either, Les - if memory serves (which sometimes it doesn't ). BTW, if you're not already aware of this - fellow forum member, crossed-up, is meticulously restoring an air-cooled 911 and photographically documenting the process. His work is amazing, and you can see his pics in the forum group: "Car Loving Pentaxians" - if you haven't done so already.

Jer

04-04-2023, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

You got that right, my friend. My title reflected an irrational burst of optimism!

Jer

I haven't either, Les - if memory serves (which sometimes it doesn't ). BTW, if you're not already aware of this - fellow forum member, crossed-up, is meticulously restoring an air-cooled 911 and photographically documenting the process. His work is amazing, and you can see his pics in the forum group: "Car Loving Pentaxians" - if you haven't done so already.

Jer
I'll have to check that out. Didn't know he was restoring a 911.

Out here, I receive a newsletter from a local guy who is a retired engineer. He is quite an enthusiast, in particular the Porsche marque. I believe he has a couple of old 356's, he has been working on for a number of years. He is a sportscar racing enthusiast and has volunteered his services as a marshal/ track attendant at a few tracks...both in Canada and the states.

He has demonstrated an amazing number of 'fixes' for a variety of things, including his Porsche collection.

I have a respect for those who can restore a vintage vehicle well. It takes patience, money, mechanical ability, money, dogged work skills...and did I mention money.

I am 'restoring' my '67 Matchless 750 (G15 CS) Scrambler...oh lessee....since 1999. I have a number of replacement parts for the motorcycle, but I will admit, I'm not mechanically skilled...and have not progressed very far, in over 20 years.

This particular motorcycle was originally brought into Canada from the at the time, American Distributor (Berliner) of the time for Matchless, Norton and Ducati motorcycles.

The Norton/Matchless scramblers were designed and built primarily for desert racing across the American southwest in the '60's. They had heavier duty, suspension systems with more travel to deal with rough terrain...metal skid plates under the crankcase...lower gearing...some quickly detachable components...to provide a better power to weight ratio, gas tanks with quick release attached caps, etc.

This type of motorcycle was known as a Desert Sled., although mine (I'm the second owner) has never seen a desert, just roads and some prairie terrain. It was used primarily as a street bike.
04-04-2023, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll have to check that out. Didn't know he was restoring a 911.

Out here, I receive a newsletter from a local guy who is a retired engineer. He is quite an enthusiast, in particular the Porsche marque. I believe he has a couple of old 356's, he has been working on for a number of years. He is a sportscar racing enthusiast and has volunteered his services as a marshal/ track attendant at a few tracks...both in Canada and the states.

He has demonstrated an amazing number of 'fixes' for a variety of things, including his Porsche collection.

I have a respect for those who can restore a vintage vehicle well. It takes patience, money, mechanical ability, money, dogged work skills...and did I mention money.

I am 'restoring' my '67 Matchless 750 (G15 CS) Scrambler...oh lessee....since 1999. I have a number of replacement parts for the motorcycle, but I will admit, I'm not mechanically skilled...and have not progressed very far, in over 20 years.

This particular motorcycle was originally brought into Canada from the at the time, American Distributor (Berliner) of the time for Matchless, Norton and Ducati motorcycles.

The Norton/Matchless scramblers were designed and built primarily for desert racing across the American southwest in the '60's. They had heavier duty, suspension systems with more travel to deal with rough terrain...metal skid plates under the crankcase...lower gearing...some quickly detachable components...to provide a better power to weight ratio, gas tanks with quick release attached caps, etc.

This type of motorcycle was known as a Desert Sled., although mine (I'm the second owner) has never seen a desert, just roads and some prairie terrain. It was used primarily as a street bike.
Les - I understand; my mechanical coordination is in single digits. I am (or was) an organic/polymer chemist (and half-baked material scientist), but my lab technique was always dismal. I was a disaster in some of my undergrad lab classes. In grad school I got a little better and managed my way to my PhD. After grad school and three years in an Army research lab, I went to work in industry and fortunately advanced reasonably quickly to the point I generated ideas and managed projects so that others with good manual dexterity could actually make those ideas work.

Jer
04-04-2023, 08:18 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Les - I understand; my mechanical coordination is in single digits. I am (or was) an organic/polymer chemist (and half-baked material scientist), but my lab technique was always dismal. I was a disaster in some of my undergrad lab classes. In grad school I got a little better and managed my way to my PhD. After grad school and three years in an Army research lab, I went to work in industry and fortunately advanced reasonably quickly to the point I generated ideas and managed projects so that others with good manual dexterity could actually make those ideas work.

Jer
My dad was very handy. He was an excellent amateur carpenter, and we never had an electrician, TV repairman or electrician in our house. He was good at figuring things out and could then pinpoint what needed to be done to repair said item.

Me, I've always been a klutz.
04-05-2023, 05:04 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That should just buff right out...
04-05-2023, 06:15 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That luggage rack must be a highly sought after item too .
04-05-2023, 06:37 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
My dad was very handy. He was an excellent amateur carpenter, and we never had an electrician, TV repairman or electrician in our house. He was good at figuring things out and could then pinpoint what needed to be done to repair said item.

Me, I've always been a klutz.
Same here, my friend.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
That should just buff right out...
It can be back to new in minutes!!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
That luggage rack must be a highly sought after item too .
No doubt - especially if one wants to trek across a desert or something. Porsche actually offers roof racks for current 911 coupe models for those that find the frunk inadequate.

Jer
04-05-2023, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Jer
I was an educator. High schools...teacher, guidance counsellor, vice principal, principal, director of a large school division department...then retirement.

But when it comes to things requiring mechanical abilities...I'm at a loss.

In fact I still have to recite in my head...lefty loosie, righty tightie...before I take a screwdriver or wrench to address a simple job.
04-05-2023, 01:29 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go out of town for a few days and there's no telling what you will miss. Like this lively conversation. Back to the photo. Judging by your photos, this is a Porsche Rat Rod. The owner doesn't plan to attempt any restoration in this case. Nice shots, Jer.