Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Experiment in the surreal
Posted By: JMR, 12-31-2008, 09:29 AM

And well you may ask, how was this done? Not for those who do not like this type of image; I came upon this quite by accident while trying to increase saturation with two exact slides as part of an experiment to produce unusual slides. Anyway, I sandwiched two exact slides, but over time they shifted in their mount, so when I scanned them, they came out deregistered and soft like an Orton image. The blues are true blue because the tree trunks were in open shade and came out bluish, but I exaggerated the colours, of course. To me it works because it does not purport to be documentary in nature, but representational.

JMR
Edit: Just added one which I did create. Notice the implied oval shape and the red tree to anchor the overall scene. Much subtler and more natural colors, though they too are a bit exaggerated from the Orton process.
2nd- notice wildly shifting sky colours, and bands of lines like thumb prints, all caused by characteristics of deteriorating Polaroid slide film.

Last edited by JMR; 01-05-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Views: 3,343
12-31-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cool another scene from 'What Dreams May Come' - surreal indeed.
12-31-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. Second time you referred to that movie. Have to see what you're talking about, going out to get it right now!!

JMR
12-31-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yep it is a good movie (and once you see it , you will see what I mean ) . It is pretty dark about suicide and death not something the little ones would enjoy - but you can handel it

12-31-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Frame it JMR.

From what I recall you have an Impressionist quality to some of your work. As I recall I mentioned a Georges Seurat "pointillist" look in a previous image. Most of my stuff is documentary and boring in comparison but you have gone way past that stage. Keep pushing the envelop - it is interesting.

Cheers,

Tom G
12-31-2008, 02:08 PM   #6
Damn Brit

I can't see any Elves, you didn't scare them away did you?

I love it JMR
12-31-2008, 03:30 PM   #7
jeffkpotter

Great work. It looks like a cross between an impressionistic painting, and some really intensely backlit stained glass!

12-31-2008, 07:22 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Yep it is a good movie (and once you see it , you will see what I mean ) . It is pretty dark about suicide and death not something the little ones would enjoy - but you can handel it
Yes, great movie, but dark, dark, dark in places...<shudders a little when thinking about some of the scenes...>

Steve
12-31-2008, 07:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Cool another scene from 'What Dreams May Come' - surreal indeed.
Dave.... you are absolutely dead on with the analogy. Perfectamente!

QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
Thanks. Second time you referred to that movie. Have to see what you're talking about, going out to get it right now!!

JMR
A very interesting movie to say the least. The road to Hell leads to some interesting places. Please do have a box of tissues with you when watch the movie though.

Stephen
01-01-2009, 06:35 AM   #10
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Frame it JMR.

From what I recall you have an Impressionist quality to some of your work. As I recall I mentioned a Georges Seurat "pointillist" look in a previous image. Most of my stuff is documentary and boring in comparison but you have gone way past that stage. Keep pushing the envelop - it is interesting.

Cheers,

Tom G
well, thank you. If I find a slide mount, I will the post the original, which is not bad. My wife thinks I made up the colors, so I showed her the the slide with the dark bluish colors.

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I can't see any Elves, you didn't scare them away did you?

I love it JMR
Thanks, if you see one, let me know, always want to include some people in my photos, but too shy to ask.

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
Great work. It looks like a cross between an impressionistic painting, and some really intensely backlit stained glass!
Thanks, Jeff. most of my Ortons go in the opposite direction, soft and subtle. But the bold colors have their subtlety too.

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 01-01-2009 at 06:42 AM.
01-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #11

Wow! Talk about a deviation from reality! Really neat JMR, and I especially like the way you did it ...some by accident, and some not. I like it.

Morgan
01-01-2009, 12:17 PM   #12
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wa5am Quote
Wow! Talk about a deviation from reality! Really neat JMR, and I especially like the way you did it ...some by accident, and some not. I like it.

Morgan
As a matter of interest, I just added two more images so you can compare the differences.

JMR
01-01-2009, 12:27 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very interesting and well done post processing. I like it. Great job.
01-02-2009, 05:28 AM   #14
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xs400 Quote
Very interesting and well done post processing. I like it. Great job.
Thanks. If you are interested:

1) Desaturate (lighten image) if it is too saturated, or just choose a lighter image without too much black in it.
2) create a duplicate layer and overlay or choose multiply
3) go to effects and select Gausian blur, apply about 10-30 percent to one layer only. Use levels to adjust brightness of one or both layers to make single image suitable.
4) flatten image, save at maximum size; resize and save second image for posting.

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 01-05-2009 at 05:27 PM.
01-02-2009, 06:38 AM   #15

It really is ironic that the 3rd one is caused by deterioration of the emulsion, as it actually has a great effect to me. Glad you scanned it in its current state, as I'm sure it will continue to get worse. How old is this slide JMR? I've got Kodak Carousels stacked 7 feet high full of slides, some going all the way back to the late 1950's and early 60's. Most of them are on Ektachrome and Kodachrome though, and most are still in pretty good shape.

These are all very interesting JMR. I need to play with the Orton a little more myself. It's not for everything, but scenes like this, it really has a neat effect.

Morgan