Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Small Butte In A Narrow Valley
Lens: HD Pentax DA 20-40 LTD f:2.8 Camera: K-70 Photo Location: Northwestern California ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: angkymac, 05-04-2023, 05:53 PM

I'm not able to discern what geological activity formed this small butte in this very narrow valley.
The camera is fairly high up on one side of the valley; the other side of the valley is visible just beyond the butte.
How did this little smooth round hill arise in the valley floor--so narrow as to almost be a canyon?

The cattle I saw grazing around it earlier seemed to be completely oblivious to this mystery; they just walked all over the hill in fine disinterest and casually munched on their grass.
Very practical creatures, those cows...
Angky

[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2oy5eQZ]_IMG9562_SmallButte_LeesvilleRd_20230414[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/194322828@N02/]Angky MacLeod[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank">
Views: 364
05-04-2023, 07:10 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What a terrific scene that is quite can anomaly. I can't get over the smooth contour of that hill and the beautiful green colors. It would be interesting to see how the formation occurred. Maybe there is a Laccolith below the surface layers. Great catch and wonderful capture.
05-04-2023, 07:43 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
What a terrific scene that is quite can anomaly. I can't get over the smooth contour of that hill and the beautiful green colors. It would be interesting to see how the formation occurred. Maybe there is a Laccolith below the surface layers. Great catch and wonderful capture.
Yes! That smooth contour and the brilliant greens of this early spring really made the image for me too.
Glad to read your comment. I'll look up that word "Laccolith" since I've not heard it before.
Thanks for that.
Angky
05-05-2023, 05:10 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Terrific capture Angky. The layering and lighting are fabulous, particularly with the trees on the shady side of the slope catching the light. California has countless fascinating geological features like this that provide such beauty but make you scratch your head how they got there.

05-05-2023, 10:38 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What a cool - and unusual - landscape. Well spotted, Angky.

Jer
05-05-2023, 03:09 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Terrific capture Angky. The layering and lighting are fabulous, particularly with the trees on the shady side of the slope catching the light. California has countless fascinating geological features like this that provide such beauty but make you scratch your head how they got there.
Greatly appreciate your detailed assessment, Todd!
As to the geological oddity, I have to wonder if somehow that might be some kind of ancient--very ancient--construct done by long-ago civilizations--it is so smooth and concentric as an oddity in such a valley.
Angky.

---------- Post added 05-05-23 at 03:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
What a cool - and unusual - landscape. Well spotted, Angky.

Jer
Thank you, Jer!
I appreciate your way of valuing images that otherwise might pass by un-photographed.
Angky
05-05-2023, 04:01 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
As to the geological oddity, I have to wonder if somehow that might be some kind of ancient--very ancient--construct done by long-ago civilizations--it is so smooth and concentric as an oddity in such a valley.
Angky.
However fanciful, I doubt it, sorry. It's probably a laccolith, an igneous intrusion into sedimentary rocks. Not uncommon in California. Beautiful image!

05-05-2023, 06:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This image seems unearthly enough to used in a sci-fi . Colors and contour are morphed by lighting to a most ethereal scene .
05-05-2023, 06:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
I'm not able to discern what geological activity formed this small butte in this very narrow valley.
The camera is fairly high up on one side of the valley; the other side of the valley is visible just beyond the butte.
How did this little smooth round hill arise in the valley floor--so narrow as to almost be a canyon?

The cattle I saw grazing around it earlier seemed to be completely oblivious to this mystery; they just walked all over the hill in fine disinterest and casually munched on their grass.
Very practical creatures, those cows...
Angky

Great capture. Wonderful light, too.
05-05-2023, 06:43 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
However fanciful, I doubt it, sorry. It's probably a laccolith, an igneous intrusion into sedimentary rocks. Not uncommon in California. Beautiful image!
Awww, C'mon, Julie!
I like the fanciful notion!
But the laccolith is very interesting in its own right, as Mike also suggested.
Interesting to think about igneous intruding into sedimentary; wish I could have watched that process!
Would have made for excellent images!
Thanks much for the comment!
Angky

---------- Post added 05-05-23 at 06:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
This image seems unearthly enough to used in a sci-fi . Colors and contour are morphed by lighting to a most ethereal scene .
Now your perspective really gets the imagination working!
I like it!
Thanks for the perspective!
Angky

---------- Post added 05-05-23 at 06:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Great capture. Wonderful light, too.
Thank you!
I was really hoping to catch that light--and got on the scene just at the right time--for once!
Seems it worked!
Appreciate your comment!
Angky