Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Hoodwinked
Lens: DFA 28-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Seabrook, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 05-21-2023, 08:42 AM

When I photograph cars at shows, such as this year's Keels and Wheels Concours in Seabrook, TX, I much prefer to see the vehicles' hoods closed in order be best capture the cars' lines. But sometimes I get "hoodwinked" and have to grab my shots of cars with hoods agape. Here are some examples.

Jer

Mid '50s Chev:

427 Cobra (1965 according to license plates):

Lotus - but I don't know the model:

1960 MGA:

XKE:

Last edited by Sailor; 05-21-2023 at 09:57 AM.
Views: 417
05-21-2023, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

That is a hood and a half on that Jaguar. The DOHC inline Jag six...I never get tired of looking at that engine.
05-21-2023, 01:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That Chevrolet is likely a 56. I did not know that put the 427 in the Cobra in 1965. I had thought it was later. Those are all beautifully captured. Good work, Jer.
05-21-2023, 06:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
That Chevrolet is likely a 56. I did not know that put the 427 in the Cobra in 1965. I had thought it was later. Those are all beautifully captured. Good work, Jer.
The AC Cobra when it came to big block Ford V8's...some had the 427 side oiler , racer style engine, others had the 428 cube V8. Both engines were part of the Ford FE V8 series.

The 428 had a range of horsepower and tune types...my FIl had a '428 - 345 hp in his '66 Canadian market Meteor (full size Mercury)...and you could get a 428 GT motor...which was underrated at 335 HP for performance Mustangs/Torinos , etc....some said it put out north of 400 hp, then there was the Ford police interceptor top dog police package engine, that was rated at 360 hp..

05-21-2023, 11:16 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm speechless. Except to say, Jer, you really know how to capture these classics and make us all wish we could go back about 50 or so years. Outstanding photography friend and many, many

thanks for all of the luscious treats.

Tony
05-22-2023, 12:38 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are they showing off their Engine Bays or do they have Engine problems? I only raise mine to check the oil or fill the windscreen washer bottle
05-22-2023, 04:40 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great series of some fantastic cars, Jer. I agree with you, I have gotten a little frustrated at looking at them and photographing them with the hoods up. I guess if they are being judged, it is required, but it definitely takes away from the beautiful lines of the cars.

05-22-2023, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
That is a hood and a half on that Jaguar. The DOHC inline Jag six...I never get tired of looking at that engine.
I know what you mean - that six looks 6 feet long!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Hey, Mike - you're right about the Chev; I enlarged the pic enough to see the year on the info paper next to the car.

Regarding the Cobra, I had it in mind that the 427s didn't appear until '67, and I also scratched my head about the '65 plates. Turns out, an internet search revealed that 427s began production in January of 1965.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
The AC Cobra when it came to big block Ford V8's...some had the 427 side oiler , racer style engine, others had the 428 cube V8. Both engines were part of the Ford FE V8 series.

The 428 had a range of horsepower and tune types...my FIl had a '428 - 345 hp in his '66 Canadian market Meteor (full size Mercury)...and you could get a 428 GT motor...which was underrated at 335 HP for performance Mustangs/Torinos , etc....some said it put out north of 400 hp, then there was the Ford police interceptor top dog police package engine, that was rated at 360 hp..
Brings back memories, Les. I remember test driving a Shelby Mustang GT 500KR in the fall of '68. Felt pretty strong, that's for sure.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I'm speechless. Except to say, Jer, you really know how to capture these classics and make us all wish we could go back about 50 or so years. Outstanding photography friend and many, many

thanks for all of the luscious treats.

Tony
Thanks for the very kind words, Tony!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Are they showing off their Engine Bays or do they have Engine problems? I only raise mine to check the oil or fill the windscreen washer bottle
I'm betting they're mighty proud of those engine bays.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Great series of some fantastic cars, Jer. I agree with you, I have gotten a little frustrated at looking at them and photographing them with the hoods up. I guess if they are being judged, it is required, but it definitely takes away from the beautiful lines of the cars.
Thanks much, Todd.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 05-22-2023 at 09:08 AM.
07-10-2023, 09:10 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Which filter if any would eliminate or reduce the reflection?
07-11-2023, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #10
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The hotspot reflection on the Chev (first image) makes it look like it is winking at you.
07-16-2023, 06:32 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brightseal Quote
Which filter if any would eliminate or reduce the reflection?
I'm not sure which picture you're referring to. Assuming it's the first one of the Chev - I suppose some filter would diminish the bright spot. That "spot" is the very thing that kept me from dumping the picture in the first place, so I have no interest in reducing it.

Her

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
The hotspot reflection on the Chev (first image) makes it look like it is winking at you.
Exactly!

Jer
07-16-2023, 10:17 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What I meant was the reflection of the sky off the surface of vehicles in general. A circular polarizer didn't work for me.
07-16-2023, 01:26 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brightseal Quote
What I meant was the reflection of the sky off the surface of vehicles in general. A circular polarizer didn't work for me.
I've never tried to filter out sky reflections on shiny cars, since I like the effect. Maybe the best approach would be to underexpose then compensate during PP to brighten the shaded parts of the car without significantly affecting the reflected areas. Of course, a cloudy day would do the trick, but obviously not something one could count on.

Jer