Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
9 Likes  #1
An Unexpected Visitor at the Nature Preserve
Lens: Sigma 170-500 DG Camera: Pentax K-5IIs Photo Location: Hendrix Nature Preserve ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: MikeNArk, 05-30-2023, 06:26 PM

This past week, a Limpkin showed up at the Hendrix Nature Preserve in Conway, Arkansas. Arkansas is not included in it's usual habitat and local photographers have been out to document the rare occurrence, including me. It has been wading in the shallow water and digging out mussels to eat. Here are a few of the many shots that I have taken of the bird.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Views: 438
05-30-2023, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well detailed shots, never seen one of these Birds before.
05-31-2023, 01:27 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agreed. Definitely different looking. Great work here, Mike and many thanks for sharing.

Tony
05-31-2023, 04:29 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shots. Never seen one before.

05-31-2023, 05:25 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Outstanding captures Mike. That bird ended up quite a way out of its normal range. I saw a few in the Everglades several years ago, but never was able to get a photograph because they liked to wade under the brush.
05-31-2023, 06:55 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Thank you, EM. To be honest, I've never seen this bird before. From what I've read, it should not, normally, be seen here. It appears to be hanging around. I took more shots of it a couple of days ago.

---------- Post added 05-31-23 at 07:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Agreed. Definitely different looking. Great work here, Mike and many thanks for sharing.

Tony
Thank you, Tony. Certainly different looking here, put probably common in Florida. One internet article stated that it may be Florida's loudest bird.

---------- Post added 05-31-23 at 07:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by phx.david Quote
Nice shots. Never seen one before.
Thanks, David. A first for me, also. Another photographer at the preserve alerted me to it's presence and assumed that I was there to photograph it because it is such rarity in Arkansas. I didn't know it was there before that encounter.

---------- Post added 05-31-23 at 07:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Outstanding captures Mike. That bird ended up quite a way out of its normal range. I saw a few in the Everglades several years ago, but never was able to get a photograph because they liked to wade under the brush.
Thank you, Todd. The nature preserve is fairly small here so it couldn't completely hide. I went down to the bank to take several photos and it did not seem to react to my presence. It did seem to enjoy digging out the mussels.😊
05-31-2023, 07:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
I agree...and same here...never seen a bird such as this before.

05-31-2023, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I agree...and same here...never seen a bird such as this before.
Thanks for viewing and commenting. So far, only Todd says he has seen the bird. It's time for our Florida members to chime in.😊

Last edited by MikeNArk; 06-04-2023 at 02:07 PM.
05-31-2023, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Thanks for viewing and commenting. So far, only Todd says he has seen the bird. It's time for our Florida members th chime in.��
Here in Central Florida, they're very common, as are Black-crowned Night Herons, Wood Storks, Little Blue Herons and Green Herons, White and White-Faced Ibis, along with assorted types of Egrets. They're all eye-catchers. Less common are Roseate Spoonbills, but when I do see them they tend to be in large flocks. Bitterns are another water bird that is not uncommon here, but they can be a little tough to get a photo of since they don't like to be out in the open.

On the other hand, birds like mallards and buffleheads and loons which are common in much of the US are pretty rare here in the interior of Florida.
05-31-2023, 10:04 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a first for me so thanks for the well made photos.
05-31-2023, 01:41 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Here in Central Florida, they're very common, as are Black-crowned Night Herons, Wood Storks, Little Blue Herons and Green Herons, White and White-Faced Ibis, along with assorted types of Egrets. They're all eye-catchers. Less common are Roseate Spoonbills, but when I do see them they tend to be in large flocks. Bitterns are another water bird that is not uncommon here, but they can be a little tough to get a photo of since they don't like to be out in the open.

On the other hand, birds like mallards and buffleheads and loons which are common in much of the US are pretty rare here in the interior of Florida.
Thank you for your comments and information. Arkansas is definitely not in the normal range of the Limpkin. I hope to take a photo trip to Florida. I do have a brother who lives in Fort Myers area.

---------- Post added 05-31-23 at 01:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
This is a first for me so thanks for the well made photos.
Thank you much for viewing commenting. It was a big surprise to see one in Arkansas.
05-31-2023, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for your comments and information. Arkansas is definitely not in the normal range of the Limpkin. I hope to take a photo trip to Florida. I do have a brother who lives in Fort Myers area..
I'm love to give you a tour of the marshlands near me. It never fails to come without at least one surprise. Hit me up when ou think you might be passing thru.
05-31-2023, 02:02 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I'm love to give you a tour of the marshlands near me. It never fails to come without at least one surprise. Hit me up when ou think you might be passing thru.
I'll certainly keep it in mind and thanks for the offer.
Mike
06-01-2023, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This past week, a Limpkin showed up at the Hendrix Nature Preserve in Conway, Arkansas. Arkansas is not included in it's usual habitat and local photographers have been out to document the rare occurrence, including me. It has been wading in the shallow water and digging out mussels to eat. Here are a few of the many shots that I have taken of the bird.
You hit a home run with those photos. Color, Detail, water Droplets, all 10 s
06-01-2023, 08:35 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rhanz Quote
You hit a home run with those photos. Color, Detail, water Droplets, all 10 s
Thanks for viewing and your comments, rhanz. We don't often get the opportunity to see these birds here so I wanted to get some pictures this time. As far as I know, it's still here digging out mussels. I guess that I ought to check.😊