Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
10 Likes  #1
SNAFU.... Big Time!
Lens: Super Takumar 50mm f:1.4 Camera: Pentax Spotmatic Photo Location: So. China Sea 
Posted By: Dewman, 06-01-2023, 02:51 PM

This was taken somewhere in the South China Sea, off the coast of North Vietnam in 1967. The F-8 Crusader coming in for a landing got all haywire and the guys in front were heading for safety, thinking the plane was going to hit us. Things happen fast when the plane is going 140 MPH. A very tense few seconds, I can assure you!

Attached Images

Views: 527
06-01-2023, 07:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Great pix....what a catch...especially with a camera that didn't have a motor drive (I'm guessing).

If it was me, I would snapped and run for cover.

Hope the pilot and others were ok.
06-01-2023, 07:49 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Terrific capture. It does look like a good time to run. I don't think I could have gotten that shot. That is great work.
06-02-2023, 05:00 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What an amazing capture! Your adrenaline must have been pumping as it unfolded. Great work Dewman!

06-02-2023, 05:31 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Everybody knows you can't take that kind of shot without AF... oh wait! :P

Fantastic capture, the energy, movement, adrenaline all apparent in a single capture.
06-02-2023, 06:35 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A "non-action" shot that is jammed full with furious action from corner to corner--and no ability to move in that split instant that the brain is commanding "MOVE!" but the legs are just standing stock still!
WOW!!!
Good thing you didn't post the next shot (water running across the deck from where the spotters are trying to move)!!!!
Angky.
06-02-2023, 10:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it were coming in cockeyed like that I am guessing I am just snapping, not knowing it is cockeyed through the view finder. Anyway, thanks for looking through your archive and taking the time to scan and post. It is a nice shot.

06-02-2023, 10:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
If it were coming in cockeyed like that I am guessing I am just snapping, not knowing it is cockeyed through the view finder. Anyway, thanks for looking through your archive and taking the time to scan and post. It is a nice shot.
No, actually I was looking through the view finder, composing my shot when I noticed the plane was askew quite a bit before he got to where he is in the photo. Just seconds before that, he was headed straight toward us! That's why you can see the firemen tensed up and ready to "exit, stage left." Keep in mind, this all happened in a second or two. Stall speed on an F-8 Crusader was about 140 MPH, IIRC.

Last edited by Dewman; 06-04-2023 at 02:35 PM.
06-04-2023, 10:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are much better at composing than me! It was a great shot with all that in the viewfinder.
06-06-2023, 12:05 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i had to look really hard, since the nosewheel and port main wheel are in line and I thought the nosewheel wasn't extended! Change of kaks required...
06-06-2023, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
i had to look really hard, since the nosewheel and port main wheel are in line and I thought the nosewheel wasn't extended! Change of kaks required...
Hmmm.... a F-8 with landing gear problems, eh? I've got some I'll post with that very problem.
11-24-2023, 07:11 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
This was taken somewhere in the South China Sea, off the coast of North Vietnam in 1967. The F-8 Crusader coming in for a landing got all haywire and the guys in front were heading for safety, thinking the plane was going to hit us. Things happen fast when the plane is going 140 MPH. A very tense few seconds, I can assure you!
Great action shot! Thanks for sharing!