Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Succulent Blooms On Cliff Face
Lens: Pentax-D FA Macro 100mm f2.8 Camera: K-70 Photo Location: High Sierra Nevada Mtns ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/20s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: angkymac, 06-05-2023, 09:33 PM

This cliff wall has been quite wet for several months this year--first lengthy wetting in a couple of years.
Now, for a couple of weeks the vertical rock wall has been rapidly drying out--no source of water above it, and facing west and south, toward the afternoon sun.
This small succulent plant has taken the opportunity, this year, to attempt to produce blooms--and seeds, hopefully.
To do so, it appears it is using the stored moisture in its fleshy leaves to sustain the blooms and seeds in the drying conditions.
This appears evident in the basal leaves that are turning brown as they relinquish their moisture.
Quite the incredibly beautiful little plant, not at first noticeable until I came close to the wall to photograph the greenery below it.
I feel fortunate to have stumbled across it in the very short time its colors are available.
I'm not sure what causes this cliff face to appear so dark, since other granite walls are lighter; but this does allow the blooms to show handsomely.
Angky

[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2oFr91P]_IMG2029_SucculentBloomingOnCliff_NYubaRiv_20230604[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/194322828@N02/]Angky MacLeod[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank">
Views: 186
06-06-2023, 08:40 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is a fantastic catch, Angky, that could have easily gone unseen. The green ferns drew you there to point out this beauty. Nice assessment of the succulents' condition and beautiful image. The ferns, the succulent and its blooms all show well against the dark brown cliff. It seems that this cliff may be a catch site for organic debris..🤔
06-06-2023, 12:13 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
That is a fantastic catch, Angky, that could have easily gone unseen. The green ferns drew you there to point out this beauty. Nice assessment of the succulents' condition and beautiful image. The ferns, the succulent and its blooms all show well against the dark brown cliff. It seems that this cliff may be a catch site for organic debris..🤔
That might be the explanation--catch site for organic material.
I'll have to consider that when I go by that cliff again--which will be not too soon (quite far away).
Thanks for the note!
Angky
06-06-2023, 01:59 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What an awesome find and what an awesome capture. Great job and many thanks for posting.

Tony

06-06-2023, 06:40 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
What an awesome find and what an awesome capture. Great job and many thanks for posting.

Tony
Thank you, Tony!
I thought it was quite an awesome find.
Suddenly there the tiny little thing was--all brilliant scarlet & pale cream yellow from a bright tiny star-shaped base of leaves.
Angky