Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
Closeups of the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail butterfly
Lens: Sigma 135-400 APO Camera: Pentax KP Photo Location: Yard ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/320s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: MikeNArk, 06-10-2023, 05:50 PM

This morning, I was out looking for butterflies in the Mimosa tree, and an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail landed on a flower close by. A couple of shots.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Views: 339
06-10-2023, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
This morning, I was out looking for butterflies in the Mimosa tree, and an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail landed on a flower close by. A couple of shots.
Nice photos I like them and they really look nice in the mimosa tree.They were in my back yard also today and I took a few pictures. Tomorrow I’ll post a few.
06-10-2023, 09:35 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great colour and detail.
06-11-2023, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful images Mike. Sharp, crystal clear, colorful and very interesting. Many thanks for these awesome treats.

Tony

06-11-2023, 07:08 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rhanz Quote
Nice photos I like them and they really look nice in the mimosa tree.They were in my back yard also today and I took a few pictures. Tomorrow I’ll post a few.
Thank you, rhanz. The butterflies cooperated a little yesterday. They dropped down to the lower levels of the tree to pose for some closer shots. I'll be looking for your shots.

---------- Post added 06-11-23 at 07:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Great colour and detail.
Thanks much, EM. I was happy to see them land right in front of me, for once.

---------- Post added 06-11-23 at 07:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Beautiful images Mike. Sharp, crystal clear, colorful and very interesting. Many thanks for these awesome treats.

Tony
Thank you so much, Tony. I believe that the colorful blooms of the mimosa tree make a great background for butterfly shots. I hope it draws in some different species.

Last edited by MikeNArk; 06-11-2023 at 07:14 AM.
06-11-2023, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You were looking for butterflies, and it looks like you were in the right place at the right time!
Great shots of them beautifying the mimosa tree.
Angky
06-12-2023, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

That first pix...wonderful colour and very clear focus with such a difficult subject...apt to fly away or move so fast.

06-12-2023, 06:52 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
You were looking for butterflies, and it looks like you were in the right place at the right time!
Great shots of them beautifying the mimosa tree.
Angky
Thank you, Angky. I was looking for them and expected to find them, just not landing a few feet away. The butterfly and tree coordinate well.

---------- Post added 06-12-23 at 07:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
That first pix...wonderful colour and very clear focus with such a difficult subject...apt to fly away or move so fast.
Thank you very much. I've done some lens adjustments recently and they have improved focus. I think this butterfly may have been resting and getting some sun, so I caught it pretty still. The mimosa tree attracts lots of butterflies, bees and other insects. At some point the gnat catchers and fly catchers will show up to harvest some insects.
06-13-2023, 03:15 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really nice butterfly shots
06-13-2023, 07:35 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by phx.david Quote
Really nice butterfly shots
Thank you, David. I'm glad that I can find wildlife and things close to home to photograph. I wish that I could get out in wild areas but family and grand kids usually keep me grounded. I really enjoy the photos that you share.